Is Government Necessary for the Fulfillment of All Natural Desires?

• Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary, the conversation discusses whether government is good or bad and if it is necessary for fulfilling natural desires such as health and protection. The participants also explore the idea of an anarchist state and the role of government in ensuring happiness. They also touch on the flaws and problems that arise in different forms of government. Ultimately, it is concluded that a perfect form of government would be a true democracy where power is distributed equally among the people.
kyle_soule
Government ----> Good or Bad?

Let's take a look at Government from the natural desires point of view. Is Government necessary for the fulfillment of all ones natural (good) desires? Such as health, protection, etc.?

I used to think that an Anarchist state is the most natural state we can live in, as you would basically observe such ungovernered, through oppression and authority, states in nature. Then I took a closer look at the needs and differences of humans from other animals, and I concluded that a Government is, in fact, necessary in order for one to achieve happiness, in the sense of all ones naturals desires being met.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure all those 'natural desires' ought to be met...

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I'm not so sure all those 'natural desires' ought to be met...

Natural desires are all those desires that are good, in those natural desires you will find eating and such. In the sense of the word I am using all the natural desires don't have to be met, but for happiness they ought to be met.

EDIT: Bad desires are wants, natural desires are needs, in a nutshell.

because the notion of 'good' you speak of is subjective, well, you can see what happens just by observing the politcal machines; One group against another trying to impose there own "authoritarian allocation of values" (to borrow a semi-famous quote) on their fellow man.
It's the story of the human race, pretty much.

Something from a Stuck Mojo song called "Declaration"

Some believe that it is the responsibility of government to provide for you. In truth, we form government to ensure and protect the freedom that is already inherently ours

Check out all the lyrics.

http://www.modernrocklyrics.com/S/stuckmojo_declarationofaheadhunter.php

I think the ideas behind government are good. But like anything that works perfect in theory, there are always problems when applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also point out that an anarchist state covers "bad" impulses as well. You could kill a man out of anger, spite or jealousy- still only fullfilling your impulses, and not be punished for it.

Originally posted by Zantra
I would also point out that an anarchist state covers "bad" impulses as well. You could kill a man out of anger, spite or jealousy- still only fullfilling your impulses, and not be punished for it.

This is what I realized once I began to think of wants and needs and desires and such.

A perfect form of government, perhaps government in definition, is what I am addressing, of course government will become oppressive and power will cause many problems. Power is a 'bad desire' and it intervenes with good desires, so a power-hungry government isn't the form I speak of.

I believe the only perfect government would be a true democracy(and I don't mean the US) It would be one governed by the people equally, without a governing body, where everyone had an equal say, not one above anyone else. Of course not everyone would get their way, but you know what they say:

You can't please some all the people some of the time, Some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time.

What is the purpose of government?

The purpose of government is to provide structure and organization to society, as well as to protect the rights and well-being of its citizens. It is responsible for creating and enforcing laws, maintaining public services, and managing the economy.

Is government necessary for a functioning society?

While there may be differing opinions on the extent of government involvement, it is generally agreed upon that some form of government is necessary for a functioning society. Without government, there would be no way to regulate and manage important aspects of society such as infrastructure, public safety, and economic systems.

What are the benefits of having a government?

Having a government can bring many benefits to a society, including protection of individual rights, provision of essential services such as education and healthcare, and the ability to make and enforce laws for the betterment of society as a whole. A government can also help promote economic stability and growth.

Can government be both good and bad?

Yes, government can be both good and bad depending on the specific actions and policies it implements. A government that works towards the betterment of its citizens and promotes equality and justice can be considered good, while a government that abuses its power and violates the rights of its citizens can be considered bad.

How can citizens influence the government?

Citizens can influence the government through various means, such as voting in elections, participating in peaceful protests and demonstrations, contacting their elected representatives, and staying informed about current issues and policies. By exercising their rights and actively engaging in the political process, citizens can have a significant impact on the decisions and actions of their government.