Would the government tell us about UFOs?

• Thread starter einsteinian77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of whether or not the government should reveal the existence of aliens if discovered. Some individuals expressed concern over the potential consequences of making this information public, while others argued that the public has the right to know. Ultimately, it was agreed that it would be difficult for the government to keep this information a secret, and that they would likely take measures to prepare for such a situation.

If the government actually did find an alien craft what do you think they would do?

• Inform the public immediately

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • render a cover up for as long as possible

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • other

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
einsteinian77
If you chose other please explain.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At this point two people said other but didn't care to explain.

I can't believe:
render a cover up is on first place...

what are you people afraid the aliens will suck your brain and transform you in mineral gathering slaves?

Well, I know the first thing I'd do if I traveled to another inhabited planet is look for some sentient lifeforms to eat!

Yummmm, sentient goodness...

Njorl

I think it would be interesting to hear arguments why someone would vote one way or the other.

I voted that the government should let everyone know aliens exist if they were discovered. If we are in any danger, we have a right to know. If we are safe then what's the harm in knowing. If it is too difficult to tell whether we are safe or in danger then letting the public know will allow a more thorough investigation of what our visitors' intentions are.

If the government did find aliens,whether the aliens were peaceful or not, I think people would go into mass hysteria creating riots and sheer chaos all around the world. This is why I chose b. Only people who are open-minded and intelligent have right to know, and society as a whole is far from being intelligent and open-minded.

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
what are you people afraid the aliens will suck your brain and transform you in mineral gathering slaves?
That isn't what the question asked. The question asked what we thought the government would do. The default position of any government is to ignore or cover up any piece of information it can't understand or adequately deal with.

However, given the nature of the information, a coverup would be extrordinarily difficult. So the "other" category would be that the other two are not applicable.

Originally posted by russ_watters

However, given the nature of the information, a coverup would be extrordinarily difficult.

Depends what actually happened.

If aliens landed in times square and announced themselves to all of New York City, then the coverup would be hard, but if the Govt. found a dead alien in a ship, no problem at all.

Originally posted by einsteinian77
Only people who are open-minded and intelligent have right to know...

and how do you know which one is open-minded and intelligent? have you discovered some magic test to do that? or do you let the government choose them?

Raven wrote
...that the government should let everyone...
(I did the italics)
should was not the question, it was would.
I agree with wasteofo2.
I chose B and agree with einsteinian77, because what he said is right, but he left out something. "Only open-minded and intelligent people should have the right to know", but since we can't tell who they are, it is beter to not let anyone know. Of course I'd prefer if most of America wasn't of such a fragile mind so I could know too, but it is better than wide spread looting.

other, with reasons

OK, I'm #3 other.

In a case like this, there would be no such single entity as 'government'; in fact, there never is.

The discovery would have to be made by some person (or persons) who would have informed others with more senior ranks. Before too long, the 'discovery' would be known by 10, 30, 100 people. People who work for 'the government' are no different from PF members and guests, and among 100 or so, there'd be some fierce disagreements as to what to do, resulting - before a week was out - in at least one person leaking the story in some way (not necessarily to the press). If there were more than one person who'd acted, then we could say there was a split in the government. How then could we answer either a or b?

Originally posted by Nereid
The discovery would have to be made by some person (or persons) who would have informed others with more senior ranks. Before too long, the 'discovery' would be known by 10, 30, 100 people. People who work for 'the government' are no different from PF members and guests, and among 100 or so, there'd be some fierce disagreements as to what to do, resulting - before a week was out - in at least one person leaking the story in some way (not necessarily to the press).
I agree, and this was my point, einsteinian77(though I didn't explain it). If two people know it, its not a secret.

I get the impression sometimes that people forget that people in government are human too.

"I get the impression sometimes that people forget that people in the government are human too."

Thats my point, I think that the people in the government would look out for people in the best way. By telling the whole world that aliens have been discovered could do a whole lot of harm.

I would think that, as people working for the government, they would think about the consequences before any of them start leeking such a huge discovery.

Last edited:
Thats my point, I think that the people in the government would look out for people in the best way.

nice thoughts. where de you live, Neverland?

The government could never keep it quiet. There would always be a few people talking about it. The question is, will these people with loose lips be believed? A clever, secretive government would prepare ahead of time. They would sow the seeds of doubt by making many UFO hoaxes of varying degrees of discreditability. That way when the real thing happened, they could easily attribute it as just another hoax. :wink:

Njorl

"nice thoughts. here do you live, neverland?"

Isn't that what the government does, govern the country?

"nice thoughts. here do you live, neverland?"

Governments eat cheezy poofs.

you sound like a cheezy poof

you sound like a cheezy poof

As in the crunching or as in the acidic melting of small pockets of trapped air?

I'd have to say as in the crunching, could be both though

Government does govern, but that's not what you said. You said "would look out for people in the best way" which is far from the same thing. Ideally, that's what they do. In reality...no.

So what do they do in "Reality"?

If aliens did arrive, the governments will probably reveal it, though only after assessing for themselves what is going on.

It is more favourable to release information in a controlled manner, than to allow exaggerated rumours to leak out, and fears to grow out of ignorance.

I'd have to say as in the crunching, could be both though

I really didn't have anything intelligent to post on this topic, so I kind of snapped.

The government is watching me. Wants to use me for my mental gurth! But I fight them off with my AFDB and anti-psychotronic toaster!

Anti-psychotronic toaster? Sounds an awful lot like a weapon of mass destruction to me... and it also seems like the perfect weapons to use to bribe the world for $1 million dollars.

Cover up, followed by attempted reverse engineering of the technology.

1. Why hasn't the government disclosed information about UFOs?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One is that the government may not have enough concrete evidence to confirm the existence of UFOs. Another reason could be that the government is concerned about public panic or unrest if they were to disclose sensitive information about UFOs. Additionally, the government may be protecting classified military technology that could be mistaken for UFOs.

2. Has the government ever acknowledged the existence of UFOs?

There have been instances where the government has acknowledged the existence of unidentified flying objects, but they typically do not confirm or deny whether these objects are extraterrestrial in nature. In 2017, the Pentagon released footage of a Navy encounter with a UFO, but did not provide any further information or explanation.

3. How do we know the government is not hiding information about UFOs?

Without concrete evidence or confirmation from the government, it is difficult to definitively say whether they are hiding information about UFOs. However, there have been numerous government documents and testimonies from government officials and military personnel that suggest there is at least some information being withheld.

4. Would the government tell us if they had proof of extraterrestrial life?

It is impossible to say for certain, but it is likely that the government would disclose this information if they had concrete evidence of extraterrestrial life. The discovery of extraterrestrial life would have significant implications for science, technology, and society as a whole, and it is unlikely that the government would keep such a groundbreaking discovery a secret.

5. What are some potential consequences of the government disclosing information about UFOs?

There could be a number of consequences of the government disclosing information about UFOs. It could lead to widespread public panic and fear, particularly if the information suggests that these objects pose a threat to national security. It could also have significant implications for religion and society's understanding of the universe. Additionally, disclosing sensitive military information about UFOs could put national security at risk.