Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Govt= idiotic,corrupt elitists?

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    can politicians really "feel" for the little guy when some of them make boatloads of money, live in mansions, and drive SUV's?and youd think that we would elect wise leaders to help run our republic,but politics in recent years makes you wonder.sometimes it seems like they try to do things the hardest way there is. i almost want a democracy. it cant be much worse than this...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2
    What are you talking about? Which country? The US at least is a Democratic Republic. We have features of both.

The people on the very top, i.e. President, VP, Senators, etc. usually make big bucks, but there are plenty who don't, such as mayors, or even governors. The problem is it takes money to get into politics, that's why you see a lot of rich people there.

From what I remember, Obama's wife made more money than him, since he's just a Senator and she's a Dean of some university.

McCain isn't rich, either, his wife is.

Same for Kerry. God, those people are a bunch of leeches. =/

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3
    when i said that,i mainly meant the upper peeple. im sure it takes money to get up there, but is that the way it should be? i dont think so. i should have just as good a chance as a rich guy.i was talking about our republic here in the good ole US of A.

5. Jul 21, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean? What does a "rich guy" have more of a chance at than you do?

6. Jul 21, 2008 #5
    because he has money to....get his name out there. have you ever seen a middle class man in any upper office? i have not. i'd like to be proved wrong. if someone can find out how much reps. and senators make, that would be nice.

7. Jul 21, 2008 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Google: http://www.thecapitol.net/FAQ/payandperqs.htm
    Roughly $170K.

You really picked a bad time to complain about this issue, though. Both the current candidates have spouses who make more than them and both started off quite low down. Their personal earnings potential is high because they are in office, not the way around. If you pick the right starting place and are the right person, it doesn't take all that much money to gain a foothold in politics.

You are right, though - there are plenty of politicans who got where they are via their name and money.

8. Jul 21, 2008 #7
  9. Jul 21, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

You don't have Google where you live? Congressional salaries are public knowledge.

10. Jul 21, 2008 #9
    Yeah, those are their Congressional salaries. Many people have things on the side. Guliani had other businesses, so does Bush, Clinton doesn't just sit on his *** all day, either.

11. Jul 23, 2008 #10
    thats a good point. but reagan was a celebrity before he was prez.

12. Jul 23, 2008 #11
    youd think that we would hire intelligent, well educated people to help run the country. but it seems that all the time i'm seeing and reading stuff that makes me wonder whether or not many politicians have brains. like when some of them make decisions that go against basic, common knowledge. like economics.and taxation.

13. Jul 23, 2008 #12

Evo

Considering the average intelligence and how many voters don't bother to educate themselves on issues before voting, is it any suprise that animals, teenagers, and dead people have gotten elected?

People vote because they saw the name on a sign, their church or union told them to vote for the person, they flipped a coin, voted by party, the person was running unopposed, etc...

14. Jul 23, 2008 #13
    and thats why this isnt a democracy, thank jesus. and thats another problem concerning politics, but i was mainly focused on the other side(politicians)

15. Jul 23, 2008 #14

Astronuc

I encountered someone who voted for Bush because he 'looked' better than Kerry. I started laughing because I thought it was a joke. It wasn't.

16. Jul 23, 2008 #15
    That's a big part of how Kennedy got elected, too.

17. Jul 23, 2008 #16
    I knew someone who voted for Clinton because she found him better looking. wha?

18. Jul 25, 2008 #17
    here's an ordinance that shows just how stupid politicians (at least in my area) are. i live in gainesville, florida. a new ordinance has been passed that allows transsexuals to use which ever bathroom they want. so, if a thirty year old man suddenly feels like a woman today, he can use the women's bathroom, where small, female children might be. can you say child molester? there has been a huge uproar about it.

19. Jul 25, 2008 #18
    How do they define "transsexual"?

20. Jul 26, 2008 #19
    someone who's sexually transient. people who go back and forth between feeling like a man and woman. i think its bogus.

21. Jul 26, 2008 #20

russ_watters

That word - I do not think it means what you think it means...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?