Govt= idiotic,corrupt elitists?

• News
  • Thread starter thomasxc
  • Start date
In summary, this new ordinance allows transgender people to use the bathroom of their choice, even if it's not the bathroom that corresponds with their birth gender. People are concerned that this will lead to more violence, as people will be forced to confront their differences in a public setting.
thomasxc
can politicians really "feel" for the little guy when some of them make boatloads of money, live in mansions, and drive SUV's?and youd think that we would elect wise leaders to help run our republic,but politics in recent years makes you wonder.sometimes it seems like they try to do things the hardest way there is. i almost want a democracy. it can't be much worse than this...

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you talking about? Which country? The US at least is a Democratic Republic. We have features of both.

The people on the very top, i.e. President, VP, Senators, etc. usually make big bucks, but there are plenty who don't, such as mayors, or even governors. The problem is it takes money to get into politics, that's why you see a lot of rich people there.

From what I remember, Obama's wife made more money than him, since he's just a Senator and she's a Dean of some university.

McCain isn't rich, either, his wife is.

Same for Kerry. God, those people are a bunch of leeches. =/

when i said that,i mainly meant the upper peeple. I am sure it takes money to get up there, but is that the way it should be? i don't think so. i should have just as good a chance as a rich guy.i was talking about our republic here in the good ole US of A.

thomasxc said:
i should have just as good a chance as a rich guy.

What do you mean? What does a "rich guy" have more of a chance at than you do?

because he has money to...get his name out there. have you ever seen a middle class man in any upper office? i have not. i'd like to be proved wrong. if someone can find out how much reps. and senators make, that would be nice.

Google: http://www.thecapitol.net/FAQ/payandperqs.htm
Roughly $170K.

You really picked a bad time to complain about this issue, though. Both the current candidates have spouses who make more than them and both started off quite low down. Their personal earnings potential is high because they are in office, not the way around. If you pick the right starting place and are the right person, it doesn't take all that much money to gain a foothold in politics.

You are right, though - there are plenty of politicans who got where they are via their name and money.

Like this guy:

http://www.poster.net/reagan-ronald/reagan-ronald-photo-xl-ronald-reagan-6234801.jpg

thomasxc said:
because he has money to...get his name out there. have you ever seen a middle class man in any upper office? i have not. i'd like to be proved wrong. if someone can find out how much reps. and senators make, that would be nice.
You don't have Google where you live? Congressional salaries are public knowledge.

Yeah, those are their Congressional salaries. Many people have things on the side. Guliani had other businesses, so does Bush, Clinton doesn't just sit on his *** all day, either.

thats a good point. but reagan was a celebrity before he was prez.

youd think that we would hire intelligent, well educated people to help run the country. but it seems that all the time I'm seeing and reading stuff that makes me wonder whether or not many politicians have brains. like when some of them make decisions that go against basic, common knowledge. like economics.and taxation.

Considering the average intelligence and how many voters don't bother to educate themselves on issues before voting, is it any surprise that animals, teenagers, and dead people have gotten elected?

People vote because they saw the name on a sign, their church or union told them to vote for the person, they flipped a coin, voted by party, the person was running unopposed, etc...

and that's why this isn't a democracy, thank jesus. and that's another problem concerning politics, but i was mainly focused on the other side(politicians)

Evo said:
Considering the average intelligence and how many voters don't bother to educate themselves on issues before voting, is it any surprise that animals, teenagers, and dead people have gotten elected?

People vote because they saw the name on a sign, their church or union told them to vote for the person, they flipped a coin, voted by party, the person was running unopposed, etc...
I encountered someone who voted for Bush because he 'looked' better than Kerry. I started laughing because I thought it was a joke. It wasn't.

That's a big part of how Kennedy got elected, too.

I knew someone who voted for Clinton because she found him better looking. wha?

here's an ordinance that shows just how stupid politicians (at least in my area) are. i live in gainesville, florida. a new ordinance has been passed that allows transsexuals to use which ever bathroom they want. so, if a thirty year old man suddenly feels like a woman today, he can use the women's bathroom, where small, female children might be. can you say child molester? there has been a huge uproar about it.

How do they define "transsexual"?

someone who's sexually transient. people who go back and forth between feeling like a man and woman. i think its bogus.

That word - I do not think it means what you think it means...

thomasxc said:
someone who's sexually transient. people who go back and forth between feeling like a man and woman. i think its bogus.
I think your definition is bogus. Do you have a document/link where "policiticians" make such a definition with reference to the law you state?

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20080129/NEWS/801290319/1002/NEWS

its been hard trying to find an article about it on a govt website. theyve pretty much swept it under the rug. but its been a big deal. its really easy to find stuff about it. excuse me, the term being used is "transgender" but its all symantecs. and this is all taking place in gainesville, florida.

youcan also find it on youtube. thye have clips from our local news station (wcjb tv 20)

Last edited:
thomasxc said:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20080129/NEWS/801290319/1002/NEWS

its been hard trying to find an article about it on a govt website. theyve pretty much swept it under the rug. but its been a big deal. its really easy to find stuff about it. excuse me, the term being used is "transgender" but its all symantecs. and this is all taking place in gainesville, florida.

No, it's not "symantecs", it's not even semantics. Transgender doesn't mean "I feel like a man today, but maybe tomorrow I'll be a woman." The definition is pretty clear and it's been documented that it happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

The problem with this bill isn't that transgender people are a problem, it's that normal people can claim to be transgender in order to go to the other bathroom. This is a pretty big distinction, because you seem to think transgender people would be the ones guilty of "gender flip flopping".

youre right. no, i don't think transgenders are the ones flip flopping. and that wasnt the original point. the point was its a stupid ordinance. sry or muddling it up.

1. Why do you believe that the government is filled with idiotic and corrupt elitists?

As a scientist, I base my beliefs on evidence and data. Through my research and observations, I have seen numerous examples of government officials making poor decisions, prioritizing personal gain over the well-being of their constituents, and engaging in corrupt practices.

2. Is it fair to make such a sweeping statement about the entire government and all its members?

It is important to note that when I refer to the government as "idiotic and corrupt elitists," I am speaking about a systemic issue rather than individual people. While there may be some government officials who are not corrupt or incompetent, the overall structure and culture of the government can perpetuate these negative behaviors.

3. What are some examples of government actions that support your belief?

There are numerous examples of government actions that can be seen as idiotic or corrupt, such as politicians accepting bribes, passing legislation that benefits themselves or their donors rather than the public, and making decisions that go against scientific evidence for their own personal beliefs or gain.

4. Do you think there is any hope for change within the government?

As a scientist, I believe in the power of data and evidence to drive change. While the government may currently be filled with problematic individuals, it is possible to implement systemic changes and hold government officials accountable for their actions. However, it will require a collective effort from citizens and a commitment to electing leaders who prioritize integrity and the well-being of their constituents.

5. What can individuals do to address this issue?

As citizens, we have the power to hold our government officials accountable through voting, staying informed, and actively participating in the political process. It is also important to support organizations and movements that advocate for government transparency and accountability. Additionally, calling out and speaking out against corrupt and incompetent government practices can also help bring about change.