GPA and acceptance chances

In summary: You should ask for your money back. Are you sure that your university is accredited? I do not see them being passed....If the university is accredited, then there is a small chance it might be passed. But I would still ask for a refund.
deuce123
Earlier on i wanted to become a realtor, with almost no interest in the sciences. After i took my first biology class, it changed my whole worldview. I became extremely interested within the sciences, and chose my major too be chemical engineering. My overall GPA is currently 3.15. Recently though, for my major science and mathematics classes I've been going through them getting A's. For Calc.1, i received a C due to a professor who might've had mental issues, and got an A in both Calc 2&3. Also got an A in General chemistry courses, and the first physics class i took, mechanics. I'm just wondering if having these major science courses as A's, boosts my chances for acceptance, disregarding my overall GPA. Thank you for your inputs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceptance into undergraduate, or into graduate school?

jtbell said:
Acceptance into undergraduate, or into graduate school?
undergrad

You took 3 calculus classes in high school? I assume so since you said you were trying to get into an undergrad program. Acceptance just depends where you apply. It seems obvious, but many people ask this type of thing and want hard cut offs for acceptance to various schools, but in reality that usually doesn't exist. Acceptance is based on a range of things. But depending on (assuming you're in the US) your SAT score and GPA will be the biggest factors. With that kind of high school GPA and a mid range SAT score, don't apply to high ranked schools. Just go for a mid range, choose a science major you're interested in and do well there. After you're done with your undergrad no one will ask about high school again.

DeathbyGreen said:
You took 3 calculus classes in high school? I assume so since you said you were trying to get into an undergrad program. Acceptance just depends where you apply. It seems obvious, but many people ask this type of thing and want hard cut offs for acceptance to various schools, but in reality that usually doesn't exist. Acceptance is based on a range of things. But depending on (assuming you're in the US) your SAT score and GPA will be the biggest factors. With that kind of high school GPA and a mid range SAT score, don't apply to high ranked schools. Just go for a mid range, choose a science major you're interested in and do well there. After you're done with your undergrad no one will ask about high school again.
I'm a transfer student from a Community college. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm still an undergrad right? Anyways thanks for the input

It depends strongly on how selective the school you are applying to is. You'd have a solid chance of getting into most public universities in Louisiana, but likely be a borderline case for many of the more selective schools in the Southern US: Ga Tech, UNC Chapel Hill, Clemson, Texas A&M, Rice, etc. It can also depend on whether you help the school in question meet their diversity goals, and whether they consider ACT scores and letters of recommendation for transfer students.

deuce123 said:
For Calc.1, i received a C due to a professor who might've had mental issues

Blaming other parties for your poor performance will never help in admissions. It does not matter whether it is true or not. It makes YOU look bad, because it comes across as blame shifting.

Dr. Courtney said:
It depends strongly on how selective the school you are applying to is. You'd have a solid chance of getting into most public universities in Louisiana, but likely be a borderline case for many of the more selective schools in the Southern US: Ga Tech, UNC Chapel Hill, Clemson, Texas A&M, Rice, etc. It can also depend on whether you help the school in question meet their diversity goals, and whether they consider ACT scores and letters of recommendation for transfer students.
Blaming other parties for your poor performance will never help in admissions. It does not matter whether it is true or not. It makes YOU look bad, because it comes across as blame shifting.
I understand how it might make me look bad, but the class average was a 40%, and 90% of the class dropped the class before the end. But thanks for the input, much appreciated.

deuce123 said:
I understand how it might make me look bad, but the class average was a 40%, and 90% of the class dropped the class before the end. But thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Doesn't your professor curve?

deuce123 said:

You should ask for your money back. Are you sure that your university is accredited? I do not see them being passed. If your university loses accreditation your degree may be rendered useless. I don't see any educator having a job very long at that drop out rate. I have never heard of one that high. I doubt you would find that even in an online college course.

deuce123 said:
I'm just wondering if having these major science courses as A's, boosts my chances for acceptance, disregarding my overall GPA.
In general, most universities like to see high grades in harder classes and may let a few poor grades in coursework unrelated to your major slide, i.e. you get an A in physics but a C in music. From what you said, I think you will be able to get into most regional universities in your area. The big state schools may be harder but I would still apply at a couple of them. What schools do you have in mind?

1. What is GPA and why is it important for college acceptance?

GPA stands for Grade Point Average and it is a numerical representation of a student's academic performance in high school or college. It is important for college acceptance because it gives admissions committees an idea of a student's academic abilities and potential for success in college.

2. How is GPA calculated?

GPA is calculated by assigning a numerical value to the letter grades a student receives in their classes. Typically, an A is worth 4 points, a B is worth 3 points, a C is worth 2 points, a D is worth 1 point, and an F is worth 0 points. The points for each class are then added together and divided by the total number of classes to get the overall GPA.

3. Do colleges only look at a student's GPA for acceptance?

No, colleges also consider other factors such as standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. While GPA is an important factor, it is not the only one that determines a student's acceptance chances.

4. Can a high GPA guarantee acceptance into a college?

While a high GPA can increase a student's chances of acceptance, it does not guarantee it. Colleges also consider other factors such as the rigor of a student's course load, personal qualities, and fit with the school's values and mission.

5. How important is GPA compared to other factors in college acceptance?

GPA is considered one of the most important factors in college acceptance, but it is not the only factor. Each college has its own unique admissions process and places varying levels of importance on different factors. It's important for students to have a well-rounded application that showcases their strengths in all areas.