GPA or Double Minors: Student Deciding on Career Change

• Programs
  • Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa
In summary, the person is a 2nd degree student with a bachelor's in finance and is now pursuing a degree in engineering with a concentration in nuclear. They are in their sophomore year and have a strong GPA of 3.88. They need 4 more courses to complete their degree and are considering dropping their minors in order to graduate in the spring of 2022. They currently work 30 hours a week and have a significant other, making it difficult to handle a heavy course load. They are wondering if having a higher GPA and research experience or a lower GPA with a minor in physics and math would be more beneficial when it comes to future employment and graduate school admissions. The person asking the question believes that the extra math courses
koab1mjr
Hi

I am a 2nd degree student who did a bacholers in finance in the late 90's I am back at school doing a career change to engineering with the goal of breaking into Nuclear engineering. I am in the sophmore tier of coursework with a strong GPA of 3.88. I am studying mech since my school does not offer a full nuclear degree plus i have more options with the ME degree but I am taking a concentration in nuclear. I was concenred since I know nuclear is physics and math intensive so I wanted to get some more course work under my belt. I need 4 more courses to complete both, but I still need a great deal of engineering course to take. I want to graduate in Spring 12 and I can do so taking about 4 classes a semster if I drop the minors, plus I could work in a lab with the free time to get some research experience in? I would just do it all but I work 30 hours a week and have demanding live in gf that needs attention. So i can't do it all without some impact to the GPA. I feel pretty strongly at 4 classes a clip i can maintain a GPA above 3.8

My questions is from an employer and a graduate school admission perspective which is weighted more someone with 3.8-3.9 gpa and a lot of research. Or a Gpa around - 3.5 but with a physics and math minor (quantum mech and complex variable/partial diff eq focus) and not so much research if any.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From either perspective, 3.8 with a good undergraduate research background beats 3.5 with no research, hands down.

The extra courses in the minor would be helpful, of course, but no one really cares if you actually complete the minor or not.

I don't know how the grad school will look at, but the extra applied math is going to make your life a lot easier after you get in. I'll take the extra math classes no matter what. What you mention, quantum mech, PDE and complex analysis is really the stepping stone.

1. What is a GPA and why is it important?

A GPA, or Grade Point Average, is a measure of a student's academic performance in college. It is calculated by averaging the grades received in all classes taken. A high GPA is often seen as an indicator of a student's academic abilities and can be important for graduate school applications and job opportunities.

2. How do double minors impact a student's career change decision?

Double minors are additional areas of study that a student can choose to pursue in addition to their major. They can provide a more well-rounded education and can be beneficial for certain career paths. When deciding on a career change, a student should consider if their double minors align with their desired career and if they provide relevant skills and knowledge.

3. Can a low GPA or lack of double minors hinder a student's career change?

A low GPA or lack of double minors may not necessarily hinder a student's career change, but it can make it more challenging. Employers may view a low GPA as a lack of academic dedication or ability, and not having relevant double minors may make a candidate less competitive in certain industries. However, there are many other factors that can influence a career change, such as experience, skills, and networking.

4. How can a student improve their GPA or obtain double minors?

To improve their GPA, a student can focus on studying and performing well in their classes, seeking help from tutors or professors, and retaking any classes they may have received a low grade in. To obtain double minors, a student can consult with their academic advisor and carefully plan their course schedule to fit in the additional requirements. They can also consider taking summer classes or online courses to fulfill the requirements.

5. Are GPA and double minors the most important factors in a career change decision?

GPA and double minors are certainly important factors to consider, but they are not the only ones. A student should also consider their interests, skills, and values when deciding on a career change. They should also research the job market and potential career opportunities in their desired field to ensure it aligns with their goals and aspirations.