Calculating Gravitational Potential Energy of a Ball Suspended from a Ceiling

• Thread starter hshphyss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Gpe
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of gravitational potential energy of a ball attached to a ceiling. The formula is mentioned and there is confusion about the displacement, with a suggestion of 3-1.15 but it not working. The concept of potential energy and its relation to force and work is also mentioned.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this problem?

A 1.70 kg ball is attached to a ceiling by a 1.15 m long string. The height of the room is 3.00 m. What is the gravitational potential energy of the ball relative to the ceiling and floor?

I'm having trouble finding the displacement. I know that its going to be mass x gravity x displacement... so that's 1.70 x 9.8 x displacement... i thought it was 3-1.15 but that didnt work

Physics news on Phys.org
It has a GPE relative to the ceiling (its displacement is the distance to the ceiling) and a GPE relative to the floor (its displacement is the distance to the floor).

" Potential Energy" is named that because we can imagine scenarios in which a Force would "potentially" do Work, if the process occurred.
I can imagine that somebody hits the yo-yo sideways so that it swings up to the ceiling.
But then, the string might break ... .

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work when it is allowed to fall or move in the direction of the gravitational field.

How do you calculate the gravitational potential energy of a ball suspended from a ceiling?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is: GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2 on Earth), and h is the height of the object above the ground. In the case of a ball suspended from a ceiling, h would be the distance between the ceiling and the ball.

What units are used to measure gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy. However, it can also be measured in other units such as kilojoules (kJ) or electron volts (eV), depending on the scale of the object and the context of the calculation.

How does the mass of the object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This is because the formula for calculating GPE includes the mass of the object. Therefore, a heavier object will have more potential energy than a lighter object when suspended at the same height.

How does the height of the object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The height of an object also plays a significant role in determining its gravitational potential energy. The higher an object is suspended, the greater its potential energy will be due to the increased distance it can fall under the influence of gravity. Therefore, the higher the object, the greater its potential energy will be.