1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GPE cars help!

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1
    i have to build a vehicle "powered soely by gravitational potential energy that will travel at least a linewar distance of 5 meters under its own power. no elastic potential energy (such as a mousetrap) allowed"

i was wondering if anyone out there had any idea on where to start or knew of a website that would provide blueprints of some sort.

thanks a million!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What ideas have you come up with so far?

4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
    well, we have to create our own wheels and axle system... like we cant use anything that was made for a wheel or an axle, so i was thinking i would use dowel rods for the axel, and depending on how heavy it was, i would use cds or pvc endcaps for the wheels... and then maybe lead fishing sinkers for the weight? i just dont know where to start...

5. Feb 14, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are lots of possibilities. How about a pulley arrangement where a falling lead weight (attached to the pulley) turns your axle to propel the car?

6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The pulley system could also incorporate a flywheel in order to keep going after the weight has reached the bottom (one could maybe also start the motion of the vehicle only after the weight dropped - engage drive mechanism - after the flywheel have build up speed)

Another idea - use a water steam coming from the bottom of a container to drive the vehicle.

7. Feb 18, 2006 #6
    tide, what you said is exactly what i was thinking... but where do i start? and how do i get the string not to catch anywhere on the car? like, do i need a plastic piece of some sort?

8. Feb 18, 2006 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by making a sketch followed by a prototype to help discover design flaws - such as string getting caught. You may need guide grooves or holes or some kind of guard such as plastic or screening material.

Good luck!

9. Feb 20, 2006 #8
    thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?