Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GPS Bluetooth relationship

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    Can someone explain why the GPS on my phone is improved when Bluetooth is on?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean better satellite signal strength or more accuracy from the same signal strength?

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3
    When I turn on the GPS on my phone, the phone (Apple SE) tells me to turn on Bluetooth for better accuracy.

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means that it will get GPS information from a nearby Bluetooth GPS device if it can. A dedicated Bluetooth GPS is often more accurate than a cell phone. It also means that the cell phone can conserve the battery power by getting GPS from a nearby device instead of receiving GPS satellite signals.

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure that it does not ask you to turn on WiFi rather than Bluetooth? Most WiFi routers can be associated with an IP address and thus a street address.

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Nov 9, 2016 #7
    Thanks. Seems odd though. Chances of it hooking onto a Bluetooth GPS seem kind of slim - I assume it would need to be within 30 feet and would require an initial ppairing with the device.

9. Nov 9, 2016 #8

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. It sounds like it is just in case there is a bluetooth GPS near by. I had read before about pinging the cell towers and how that can make a phone GPS more accurate than a stand-alone dedicated GPS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted