GPS Bluetooth relationship

• Thread starter Ez4u2cit
  • Start date
Can someone explain why the GPS on my phone is improved when Bluetooth is on?

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Do you mean better satellite signal strength or more accuracy from the same signal strength?

When I turn on the GPS on my phone, the phone (Apple SE) tells me to turn on Bluetooth for better accuracy.

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
It means that it will get GPS information from a nearby Bluetooth GPS device if it can. A dedicated Bluetooth GPS is often more accurate than a cell phone. It also means that the cell phone can conserve the battery power by getting GPS from a nearby device instead of receiving GPS satellite signals.

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Are you sure that it does not ask you to turn on WiFi rather than Bluetooth? Most WiFi routers can be associated with an IP address and thus a street address.

Thanks. Seems odd though. Chances of it hooking onto a Bluetooth GPS seem kind of slim - I assume it would need to be within 30 feet and would require an initial ppairing with the device.

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Thanks. Seems odd though. Chances of it hooking onto a Bluetooth GPS seem kind of slim - I assume it would need to be within 30 feet and would require an initial ppairing with the device.
I agree. It sounds like it is just in case there is a bluetooth GPS near by. I had read before about pinging the cell towers and how that can make a phone GPS more accurate than a stand-alone dedicated GPS.