Calculating GPS Uncertainty for a Bicycle Trip

In summary, the total uncertainty for the trip is the sum of the distances measured with a given sampling frequency (my computer records GPS data once per second.).
Robin64
Let's say I have a GPS unit that reports an "accuracy" (this is what the GPS device reports as the uncertainty in the measurement of position) of 15ft. I travel some distance, with the GPS reporting a position every second. At the end of 1000 seconds I arrive at my destination. For the sake of the analysis I'm going to assume that the "accuracy" is constant and restricted to a plane (I'm not concerned about elevation changes and uncertainty associated with elevation measurement). I'm also going to assume that uncertainty is a function of radius, and angle, where angle is measured as the angle between my actual path and the segment between my current reported position and my last. I'm assuming that uncertainty in angle is uniformly distributed over 2π radians. My last assumption is that the correct way to calculate the total uncertainty for my trip is through quadrature; however I'm not quite sure what form each term in the quadrature takes.

Can someone give me some insight?

Note that I'm not concerned about the other sources of GPS error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Robin64, welcome to PF!

Robin64 said:
the total uncertainty for my trip
What do you mean by total uncertainty for the trip. The 15 m uncertainty is an uncertainty in position, but a trip isn't a position. Are you interested in the uncertainty of the final position or in the length of the path or what?

I should have been more clear, I'm speaking with respect to how a bicycle GPS computer calculates the total distance for a trip, wherein the total distance is the sum of the distances measured with a given sampling frequency (my computer records GPS data once per second.).
Dale said:
Hi Robin64, welcome to PF!

What do you mean by total uncertainty for the trip. The 15 m uncertainty is an uncertainty in position, but a trip isn't a position. Are you interested in the uncertainty of the final position or in the length of the path or what?

1. What is GPS uncertainty calculation?

GPS uncertainty calculation is the process of estimating the potential error or inaccuracy in the location data provided by a GPS receiver. This can be affected by a variety of factors such as satellite signal interference, atmospheric conditions, and receiver limitations.

2. Why is GPS uncertainty calculation important?

GPS uncertainty calculation is important because it allows us to understand the reliability of GPS data and make informed decisions based on the accuracy of the location information. It is particularly crucial in applications where precise location data is essential, such as navigation, surveying, and mapping.

3. How is GPS uncertainty calculated?

GPS uncertainty is typically calculated by using a combination of mathematical models and statistical methods. This involves analyzing the GPS receiver's measurements, satellite positions, and atmospheric data to estimate the potential error in the location data. Different methods may be used depending on the specific application and level of accuracy required.

4. What factors affect GPS uncertainty?

There are several factors that can affect GPS uncertainty, including satellite geometry, atmospheric conditions, signal interference, and receiver limitations. For example, if there are not enough visible satellites or if the signals are obstructed, the accuracy of the location data may be reduced.

5. Can GPS uncertainty be eliminated?

No, GPS uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated as there will always be some level of error or inaccuracy in the location data. However, it can be minimized by using advanced GPS technology, such as differential GPS, and by taking into account potential error sources during the data analysis process.