GR as a Graded Time Dilation Field in Euclidean Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of describing GR (General Relativity) in terms of a Graded Time Dilation Field in Euclidean space. The paper cited in the conversation suggests that light curvature can be represented by a material with graded index refraction. However, it is not possible to describe GR with a single scalar field as it does not have enough degrees of freedom. The analogy breaks down when considering cosmological solutions, gravitational waves, black holes, and perihelion precession. Additionally, in a realistic solution, curvature cannot be represented by a single function of position and time. Therefore, it is not possible to describe GR solely in terms of a Graded Time Dilation Field in Euclidean space.
Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
Yes. See also p.266 of Wald.

Ok, so my point was if you are going to 'get going at all' with an attempt to reproduce all GR predictions with scalar functions, you could not possibly use less than 6, due to the 6 degrees of freedom. Whether it can be done meaningfully at all ultimately depends how loose you want to be on 'meanfingful'.

Let's use the Schwartzschild metric as a simple exact example solution of GR. If you take the low-speed (v << c) and weak-field (r >> Rs) limits, you end up with a metric that is just the flat-space metric plus a time term. In this metric, ALL the curvature is in the time dimension, so it looks exactly like flat Euclidean space plus curved time. You can recover Newtonian gravity from that metric, and it matches what we see in the vicinity of the Earth to better than 1 part per billion.

Approximately, therefore, if you are not moving at relativistic speeds and are not close to a black hole or neutron star, mass causes time dilation and time dilation causes gravity (i.e. curved geodesics). The time dilation gradient due to Earth's mass is what's pressing you into your seat right now. The idea that "gravity causes time dilation" is precisely backwards.

Anyway, in this limit GR gravity really is just a graded time dilation field in Euclidean space, which I think may be the best answer to the original question.

H_A_Landman said:
Let's use the Schwartzschild metric as a simple exact example solution of GR. If you take the low-speed (v << c) and weak-field (r >> Rs) limits, you end up with a metric that is just the flat-space metric plus a time term. In this metric, ALL the curvature is in the time dimension, so it looks exactly like flat Euclidean space plus curved time. You can recover Newtonian gravity from that metric, and it matches what we see in the vicinity of the Earth to better than 1 part per billion.

Approximately, therefore, if you are not moving at relativistic speeds and are not close to a black hole or neutron star, mass causes time dilation and time dilation causes gravity (i.e. curved geodesics). The time dilation gradient due to Earth's mass is what's pressing you into your seat right now. The idea that "gravity causes time dilation" is precisely backwards.

Anyway, in this limit GR gravity really is just a graded time dilation field in Euclidean space, which I think may be the best answer to the original question.

Necro posts are us. The last post in this thread was March, 2014.

Additionally, I don't think I agree that taking the low-speed, high R limit gives only the time componenents. For instance, take gravitational wave detection ala Ligo - the spatial components of the metric are very important for gravitational waves.

H_A_Landman: Thanks for the timely response ;) Anyway time dilation "causing" gravity is precisely the idea I was exploring, I just didn't word it in that way...

pervect said:
I don't think I agree that taking the low-speed, high R limit gives only the time componenents.

For the large R limit, this is true; there is also an extra factor in front of the space components. This factor shows up in, for example, the bending of light by the Sun; it makes the GR prediction twice the Newtonian prediction.

However, in the slow motion limit (which excludes phenomena like light bending, since light is not "slow moving"--neither are gravitational waves), the extra factor in front of the space components becomes negligible, because we are restricting attention to spacetime intervals for which the spatial differentials ##dx##, ##dy##, ##dz## are much smaller than the time differential ##dt## (we are using "natural" units here in which ##c = 1##). So the effective metric in the weak field, slow motion limit does have only an extra time-time component in addition to the flat spacetime metric.

Carroll discusses this briefly in Chapter 4 of his online lecture notes on GR:

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

pervect said:
... take gravitational wave detection ala Ligo - the spatial components of the metric are very important for gravitational waves.

Gravitational waves, like light, travel at the speed of light and hence violate the low-speed assumption. You wouldn't expect them to necessarily be handled correctly by the simplified metric.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
Carroll discusses this briefly in Chapter 4 of his online lecture notes on GR:
https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

Yes he does, specifically around equations 4.10 to 4.22 on pages 105-106. Thanks for the reference.