GR conditions conserved quantities AdS s-t; t-l geodesic

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a time-like geodesic. The problem involves finding a conserved quantity associated with t, y, and x using the Euler-Lagrange equations. The Lagrangian is given as L=(R^2/z^2)(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2-dt^2) and the goal is to determine the value of kappa, with the constraint that L<0 for a time-like geodesic. The final solution is that kappa must be less than 0.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question attached
ads.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

part a) ##ds^2=\frac{R^2}{z^2}(-dt^2+dy^2+dx^2+dz^2)##
part b) it is clear there is a conserved quantity associated with ##t,y,x##

From Euler-Lagrange equations ## \dot{t}=k ## , k a constant ; similar for ## \dot{y}=c ## and ## \dot{x}=b ## , ##b,c## constants

I get the Lagrangian as ## L=\frac{R^2}{z^2}( \dot{x^2} + \dot{y^2} + \dot{z^2} - \dot{t^2} )##

Let me combine all the constants as ##\kappa## then I can write this as:

##\frac{R^2}{z^2}( \kappa + \dot{z^2} )<0## ; since ##L## must be ##<0## for a time-like geodesic. I'm not sure what to do now...

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Question attached View attachment 203944

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

part a) ##ds^2=\frac{R^2}{z^2}(-dt^2+dy^2+dx^2+dz^2)##
part b) it is clear there is a conserved quantity associated with ##t,y,x##

From Euler-Lagrange equations ## \dot{t}=k ## , k a constant ; similar for ## \dot{y}=c ## and ## \dot{x}=b ## , ##b,c## constants

I get the Lagrangian as ## L=\frac{R^2}{z^2}( \dot{x^2} + \dot{y^2} + \dot{z^2} - \dot{t^2} )##

Let me combine all the constants as ##\kappa <0 ## then I can write this as:

##\frac{R^2}{z^2}( \kappa + \dot{z^2} )<0## ; since ##L## must be ##<0## for a time-like geodesic. I'm not sure what to do now...
So is it simply ## \kappa <0## ? Seems too trivial / simple ..

Many thanks

1. What are GR conditions?

GR conditions refer to the Einstein field equations, which are a set of equations in general relativity that describe how matter and energy affect the curvature of spacetime. These conditions are fundamental to understanding the dynamics of the universe on a large scale.

2. What are conserved quantities in GR?

Conserved quantities in GR are physical properties that remain constant throughout the course of a system's evolution due to the symmetry of spacetime. These include energy, momentum, and angular momentum, and are important in understanding the behavior of objects in curved spacetime.

3. What is AdS spacetime?

AdS (Anti-de Sitter) spacetime is a solution to the Einstein field equations that describes a universe with negative curvature. It is characterized by a negative cosmological constant, which contributes to a repulsive force, causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

4. What is a geodesic in GR?

A geodesic is the path that a free-falling object takes in curved spacetime. In other words, it is the trajectory that an object would follow if it were only affected by the curvature of spacetime and not by any external forces. Geodesics are crucial in understanding the motion of objects in general relativity.

5. How are t-l and s-t geodesics related in GR?

In GR, t-l (time-like) and s-t (space-like) geodesics are related in that they both follow the curvature of spacetime. However, they differ in that t-l geodesics correspond to the path of a massive object, while s-t geodesics correspond to the path of a massless object such as light. Both types of geodesics play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.