GR Cone Singularity Homework: Q1 & Q2 on Setting B(r=0)=0

In summary: Yes exactly , for constant r , and therefore shouldn’t it be a function of r ? Hence my question defining the period for each such ‘ circular cross section ‘ ?the circumference is just the sum of the lengths of the segments that make up the circle.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

question attached-
I am stuck on some of the reasoning as to why we set ##B(r=0)=0##

3dq.png

please not as described in the attempt I am interested in the concepts and have not posted my solution to A, nor any solutions not relevant to the concepts I am trying to understand

Homework Equations

below

The Attempt at a Solution

3dsol.png

[/B]
QUESTION 1
[
I understand ##r=0## and ##r=R## are going to be the 'critical ' points to look at to loose both integration constants. I am basically stuck on the concepts about the metric descrbing a cone etc.
So I understand that the tip of a cone is a singularity as it is 'geodesically incomplete'. However I am confused with the interpretation of what body\shape one claims that the metric describes, since the coordiantes have no physical meaning as they are just a way of parameterising the manifold.

So, if I can find some coordinates that take the metric to that of a cone, why do I interpret this as significant enough for me to decide that singularity is 'physical' enough for me to use it to impose constraints on ##B(r)## . i.e. there must be multiplie coordinate choices that will allow me to take it to a wide - range of shaped space-times as described by the metric, if these are all regular with no singularities I don't worry, but if there is just one such coordiante transformation that takes me to a body with a singularity I use it as a constraint- so original coordiantes that the metric is in must be such that any possible coordinate transformation from that, yields a metric that has no singularities? Bit confused with this since we said coordiantes are not physically significant.

QUESTION 2
Also, I'm actually stuck as to why this describes a cone. I see the solution comments on the period of the cone,being less than a circle of 2pi, i can see that the new angle defined clearly has a period less than 2pi, however, I have no idea of what you define the period of a cone to be ?!

many thanks

Attachments

• 3dq.png
    3dq.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 669
  • 3dsol.png
    3dsol.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 313
Physics news on Phys.org
If you calculate the circumference of the circle ##r=r_0##, you'd get a result that's less than ##2\pi r_0##.

You could also look at it as if you remove a wedge from a flat plane, since the period of ##\theta'## is less than ##2\pi##, and then stitched the two edges together. Do you see that you're going to end up with a cone?

vela said:
If you calculate the circumference of the circle ##r=r_0##, you'd get a result that's less than ##2\pi r_0##.

You could also look at it as if you remove a wedge from a flat plane, since the period of ##\theta'## is less than ##2\pi##, and then stitched the two edges together. Do you see that you're going to end up with a cone?

how do you define the period of a cone?
is each cross-section of a cone not a circle?

binbagsss said:
how do you define the period of a cone?
is each cross-section of a cone not a circle?

mmm as in the 2-d image i mean by 'cross section' if it's a 3d cross section, i.e. a segment then the diameter of that will decrease as you view it from the circular end of the cone approaching the tip. but would you not have to define a period for each such '2-d cross-section' - i.e. the circle? how else do you define the period?

It's nothing too mysterious. The angle ##\theta## is the usual polar angle which ranges from 0 to ##2\pi##. ##\theta'##, on the other hand, only goes from ##0## to ##2\pi e^{-B(0)}## before you return to the same point on the manifold (for constant ##r##).

vela said:
It's nothing too mysterious. The angle ##\theta## is the usual polar angle which ranges from 0 to ##2\pi##. ##\theta'##, on the other hand, only goes from ##0## to ##2\pi e^{-B(0)}## before you return to the same point on the manifold (for constant ##r##).
Yes exactly , for constant r , and therefore shouldn’t it be a function of r ? Hence my question defining the period for each such ‘ circular cross section ‘ ?

1. Why is it necessary to set B(r=0)=0 for the GR Cone Singularity Homework?

Setting B(r=0)=0 is necessary because it ensures that the metric for the GR cone singularity is regular at the origin. Without this condition, the metric would have a singularity at r=0, which would make the solution physically unrealistic.

2. Can you explain the significance of the term "singularity" in GR Cone Singularity Homework?

In general relativity, a singularity refers to a point in spacetime where the curvature becomes infinite. In the case of the GR cone singularity, the singularity occurs at the origin (r=0), which is the point where the cone becomes infinitely sharp. This singularity is a mathematical artifact and does not necessarily have a physical meaning.

3. How does the condition B(r=0)=0 affect the behavior of the metric function B(r) for r>0?

Setting B(r=0)=0 does not affect the behavior of the metric function B(r) for r>0. It only ensures that B(r) is continuous at r=0, which is necessary for the metric to be physically realistic.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the term "regularity" in the context of the GR Cone Singularity Homework?

In the context of the GR cone singularity, regularity refers to the absence of any physical singularities or infinities in the metric. By setting B(r=0)=0, we ensure that the metric is regular at the origin and does not have any unphysical behaviors.

5. Is it possible to have a GR cone singularity without setting B(r=0)=0?

No, it is not possible to have a GR cone singularity without setting B(r=0)=0. If we do not set this condition, the metric would have a singularity at r=0, which would make the solution physically unrealistic. Thus, setting B(r=0)=0 is essential for the existence of the GR cone singularity.