Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GR equations of motion

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1

Gold Member

These are the EOMs for a 4D space-time that has a plane singularity at x=0. They are simpler than most, but as I've confessed before, I need help with even the simplest DE's. This is not a home-work question.

[tex]x\frac{d^2\tau}{dt^2} - \frac{d\tau}{dt}\frac{dx}{dt} = 0[/tex]

[tex]x^3\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \frac{m^2}{2}(\frac{d\tau}{dt})^2 - \frac{x^2}{2}(\frac{dx}{dt})^2 = 0[/tex]

Any solutions gratefully received and will be acknowledged.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2
    If [itex]x(t)=c_1,\,\tau(t)=c_2[/itex] then the equations are satisfied.
    If [itex]x(t)\neq 0,\,\tau(t) \neq c_2[/itex] then from the 1st equation we have

[tex]\frac{\tau''}{\tau'}=\frac{x'}{x}\Rightarrow x=C\,\tau'[/tex]

Plugging this result to the 2nd equation we have

[tex]\tau'\,(2\,C^4\,\tau'\,\tau'''-C^4\,(\tau'')^2+m^2)=0\Rightarrow \tau'\,\tau'''-\frac{1}{2}\,(\tau'')^2+\frac{m^2}{2\,C^4}=0 \quad \text{since} \quad \tau'\neq 0[/tex]

Now set [itex]\tau'=\frac{m}{C^2}\,y[/itex], thus

[tex]y\,y''-\frac{1}{2}\,y'^2+\frac{1}{2}=0 \quad (\ast)[/tex]

With the substitution
    [tex]y(t) \rightarrow \theta,\,t\rightarrow u(\theta),\,y'(t) \rightarrow \frac{1}{u'(\theta)},\, y''(t) \rightarrow -\frac{u''(\theta)}{u'(\theta)^3}[/tex]
    makes the last equation

which is a 1st order separable ODE.
    Thus from the last one we can find [itex]u(\theta)[/itex] and from [itex](\ast), y(t)[/itex] and finally [itex]\tau(t)[/itex]
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. Feb 6, 2008 #3

Gold Member

Thanks again, RainbowChild. Unfortunately what you've left looks just as difficult as the original to me and I wouldn't know where to begin to solve it.

I'll go and look up 'separable'.

So, I need to write the last equation the form

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = h(x)g(y)[/tex]

but I don't understand your last equation, are the primes still differentiation wrt t ?

the nearest I can get is this

[tex]\frac{dU}{dt} = \frac{1}{\theta}U(U^2-1)[/tex]

I'm sorry, I'm at sea here.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  5. Feb 7, 2008 #4
    Ok, let me throw you a life jacket! :smile:

let [itex]u'(\theta)=z(\theta)[/itex] thus

[tex]\frac{z'(\theta)}{z(\theta)\,(z(\theta)^2-1)}=\frac{1}{2\,\theta}\Rightarrow \int \frac{d\,z}{z\,(z^2-1)}=\int \frac{d\,\theta}{2\,\theta} \Rightarrow \ln\frac{z^2-1}{z^2}=\ln\theta+C_1 \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]z(\theta)=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-C_1\,\theta}}\Rightarrow u'(\theta)=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-C_1\,\theta}}\Rightarrow u(\theta)=\pm \frac{2}{C_1}\,\sqrt{1-C_1\,\theta}-C_2[/tex]

which yields to

[tex]t=\pm \frac{2}{C_1}\,\sqrt{1-C_1\,y(t)}-C_2\Rightarrow y(t)=-\frac{1}{4\,C_1}\,\left((t+C_2)^2\,C_1^2-4\right)[/tex]

Now use [itex]\tau'=\frac{m}{C^2}\,y[/itex], in order to calculate [itex]\tau(t)[/itex]

I hope that clears up things! :smile:
  6. Feb 7, 2008 #5

Gold Member

That helps a lot, thanks. My head is above water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?