GR equations

• Thread starter Sparky_
  • Start date
Greetings,

I guess first let me ask if I’m correct – I think along the way I saw or heard that Einstein’s general relativity equations are similar to Maxwell’s electromagnetic equations.

I’ve had electromagnetics (as an electrical engineer) not electrodynamics. I would like to see the general relativity equations used in some examples. Regarding GR – the most I’ve seen is stuff for the “lay-person” verbal explanations and algebra only.

I have surfed your “Math and Science Learning Materials” hoping to find a college course on-line with some pdfs showing the equations – no luck.

Am I correct that the equations for GR are “similar” to Maxwell’s?

Any suggestions on some examples / resources at this level – to show the Maxwell-like equations and explain them with an example or two?

(does this even make sense or did I dream these GR equations like Maxwell's?)
Thanks
Sparky_

Answers and Replies

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The GR equations resemble Maxwell's equations only in a special limiting case (linearized GR). See chapter 15 of "Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler for a discussion and examples.

Last edited:
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have surfed your “Math and Science Learning Materials” hoping to find a college course on-line with some pdfs showing the equations – no luck.

You could try this: http://www.lightandmatter.com/genrel/