Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GR in Matrix format

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    So I've been working on writing these equations in matrix format. I have encountered a question / issue and was hoping someone on this forum could check my math and point out what I've done wrong (I can't see it):

ds^2 = g_mn dx_m dx_n -> ds^2 = dx+ g dx

where dx is a 4 by 1 column matrix, dx+ is its conjugate transpose, and g is the 4x4 matrix version of the metric tensor. The symmetry of g in matrix form is the equivalent of saying that g is a hermitian matrix (operator... distance is a real number).

The covariant derivative becomes:

DY_m = dY/dx_m - G_m Y

Where G_m are 4 (4x4) matrices. They are the matrix equivalents to the Christoffel symbols. The covariant derivative of the matrix form of g is:

dg / dx_m + (G_m) g + g (G+_m) which we let go to 0.

If we say under coordinate transform: Y' = SY where S is a 4x4 transformation matrix, then:

g' = S+-1 g S-1, G_m' = dx_n/dx'_m (S G_n S-1 - dS/dx_n S-1)

Now, if we take S = e^ik (a phase shift), we see that G shifts by the needed amount for our gauge condition.

The question I have is this:

What is wrong with the formula for the covariant derivative of the matrix g? The solution to that equation as I have it is:

G_m = -1/2 dg/dx_m g-1 + iA

A is a real constant value, unknown, meaning the solution isn't unique. Also it doesn't match what we would get from tensors.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted