1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GR notation, newbie question

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to learn some GR from Carrol's textbook, but I'm a little lost there. For example, this simple problem:

In Euclidean 3-space, let p be the point with coordinates (x,y,z) = (1,0,-1). Consider the curve passing through p:

[tex]x^i(\lambda) = (\lambda, (\lambda-1)^2, -\lambda)[/tex]

Calculate the components of tangent vectors to these curves at p in the coordinate basis [tex]\{\partial_x, \partial_y, \partial_z\}[/tex].

The attempt at a solution

The components of tangent vectors are given by

[tex]V^i = \frac{dx^i}{d\lambda}[/tex]

It is of course in the basis of x,y,z. But I don't understand what does the basis [tex]\{\partial_x, \partial_y, \partial_z\}[/tex] mean. The notation is new to me, but I think that

[tex]\partial_x \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

so how can this be used as a basis? If you just take these derivatives at each component of the curve, you always get (1,1,1), right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In GR, and differential geometry in general, you often define a vector as a directional derivative. So the vector ai+bj+ck (where i,j,k are the usual unit vectors) is written as a*d/dx+b*d/dy+c*d/dz. Since the derivative along the direction i is d/dx etc.

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3
    Alright, so this is a trivial problem then, right?

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Just like what you did in Calc I but written in GR type notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?