Calculate Time at Infinity for GR Observer: A Photon's Journey

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of time taken for a photon to travel from a radius ##r_2## to ##r_1## and back, according to a stationary observer at infinity. The answer was obtained using the Schwarzschild metric and taking into account the null geodesic of the photon. The resulting time coordinate was found to be different from the time experienced by someone at ##r_2## due to the effects of curved spacetime. The concept of coordinate time as a label for events in spacetime was also discussed.
Kara386
We were shown the answer to this question as a worked example: A photon is emitted from a radius ##r_2## and travels radially inward to ##r_1## until it's reflected by a fixed mirror and travels back to ##r_2##. Calculate the time taken for the photon to travel in and back, according to a stationary watcher at infinity. Use the Schwarzschild metric.

The answer then stated ##ds^2=0## for a photon, and as it is radially infalling ##d\theta## and ##d\phi## are also zero. Subbing these into the metric and integrating gave an expression for ##\Delta t##. I thought that would be the time measured by the photon. But the calculation ends there, and states that this is time as measured by the observer at infinity.

Is that because for the observer, spacetime is flat? So ##ds^2 = d\tau^2 = dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2##, but since the observer is stationary you just get ##d\tau = dt##. It just seems a bit strange that someone infinitely far away would measure the same time as the photon. But then I'm a week into my first GR course, so at the minute most of it seems odd!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you have to use the Schwarzschild line element rather than the Minkowskian. In the usual coordinates ##\mathrm{d} t## is the time increment of an observer very far from the mass responsible for the Schwarzschild gravitational field. You just have to calculate the radial light-like (null) geodesics in a Schwarzschild metric.

Likes Kara386
Photons don't measure time. That's why ##ds=cd\tau=0## in this case.

The ##\Delta t## you calculated was the difference in time coordinate between the emission and reception events. In curved spacetime, the difference in time coordinates isn't necessarily anything to do with the time experienced by anyone (just as, on the curved surface of the Earth, the same latitude but a difference of 1° in our longitudes could mean anything from millimetres to hundreds of miles between us). However, the Schwarzschild time coordinate is chosen to be the time for an observer at infinity (##d\tau=dt## for an observer stationary at r=∞). So in this case, the coordinate time difference is the answer you were looking for. It's not the same as the time experienced by someone waiting at the emitter for the reflection to return.

I'm not sure it ever stops being odd, by the way. It does become more understandable.

Likes Kara386
Ibix said:
Photons don't measure time. That's why ##ds=cd\tau=0## in this case.

The ##\Delta t## you calculated was the difference in time coordinate between the emission and reception events. In curved spacetime, the difference in time coordinates isn't necessarily anything to do with the time experienced by anyone (just as, on the curved surface of the Earth, the same latitude but a difference of 1° in our longitudes could mean anything from millimetres to hundreds of miles between us). However, the Schwarzschild time coordinate is chosen to be the time for an observer at infinity (##d\tau=dt## for an observer stationary at r=∞). So in this case, the coordinate time difference is the answer you were looking for. It's not the same as the time experienced by someone waiting at the emitter for the reflection to return.

Right ok, so for r tending to infinity, you get from the Schwarzschild metric (for a stationary observer) that ##dt=d\tau##? And that's different to the time experienced by someone at ##r_2##. If you had a stationary observer at ##r_2##, would this be the time ##d\tau## that they experience (setting c=1)?
##ds^2 = d\tau^2 = \left(1-\frac{2GM}{r}\right)(dt)^2##

So there's a factor of ##\sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{r}}## compared to the coordinate time, and that takes you to proper time?

Ibix said:
I'm not sure it ever stops being odd, by the way. It does become more understandable.
That's very reassuring, I'm quite glad it stays odd. My lecturer is treating it as somewhat mundane - but then he's a cosmologist, and he's also said things like galaxies are tiny. Which I suppose they might be, in the context of cosmology!

I didn't know coordinate time wasn't necessarily a quantity experienced by someone. Thanks for the answers, they're really helpful!

Kara386 said:
Right ok, so for r tending to infinity, you get from the Schwarzschild metric (for a stationary observer) that dt=dτdt=d\tau?
Yes.
Kara386 said:
If you had a stationary observer at ##r_2##, would this be the time ##d\tau## that they experience (setting c=1)?
##ds^2 = d\tau^2 = \left(1-\frac{2GM}{r}\right)(dt)^2##
That should be ##r_2## rather than r in the bracket. And strictly you should integrate ##d\tau## to get a finite length of time if you want to talk about the amount of time that's passed, but the integral is trivial in this case and you can just replace d with Δ. But basically yes.

Kara386 said:
My lecturer is treating it as somewhat mundane
Some aspects of it are (my analogy to coordinates on Earth is quite literally mundane, and I find it very useful). But the consequences of even the mundane stuff can be surprising.
Kara386 said:
I didn't know coordinate time wasn't necessarily a quantity experienced by someone.
Coordinates are just a way of "labelling" events in spacetime for easy reference. If you're going to be systematic about that labelling then it's reasonable that your time coordinate increasing should have some relationship to everyone's clock readings increasing. But it doesn't have to be the exact same thing - and that's where the ##\sqrt {1-2GM/r}## comes in, as you said.

Likes vanhees71 and Kara386
Ibix said:
Yes.
That should be ##r_2## rather than r in the bracket. And strictly you should integrate ##d\tau## to get a finite length of time if you want to talk about the amount of time that's passed, but the integral is trivial in this case and you can just replace d with Δ. But basically yes.

Some aspects of it are (my analogy to coordinates on Earth is quite literally mundane, and I find it very useful). But the consequences of even the mundane stuff can be surprising.
Coordinates are just a way of "labelling" events in spacetime for easy reference. If you're going to be systematic about that labelling then it's reasonable that your time coordinate increasing should have some relationship to everyone's clock readings increasing. But it doesn't have to be the exact same thing - and that's where the ##\sqrt {1-2GM/r}## comes in, as you said.
Fantastic, thanks for your help, that's cleared up some misconceptions I had!

1. What is the significance of calculating time at infinity for a photon's journey in general relativity?

Calculating time at infinity for a photon's journey in general relativity helps us understand the behavior of light and its interactions with gravity. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the path of light in extreme gravitational fields, such as near black holes.

2. How is time at infinity for a photon's journey calculated in general relativity?

In general relativity, time at infinity for a photon's journey is calculated using the Schwarzschild metric, which takes into account the effects of gravity on space and time. This metric allows us to calculate the time experienced by an observer at infinity as they observe the journey of a photon.

3. What is the difference between time at infinity and time at the source for a photon's journey?

Time at infinity refers to the time experienced by an observer at an infinite distance from the source of the photon, while time at the source refers to the time experienced by an observer at the same location as the source of the photon. The difference between these two can be significant in extreme gravitational fields.

4. Can time at infinity for a photon's journey be measured or observed?

No, time at infinity for a photon's journey cannot be directly measured or observed. It is a theoretical concept used in general relativity to make predictions about the behavior of light in extreme gravitational fields. However, the effects of this calculation can be observed indirectly through observations of gravitational lensing.

5. How does the concept of time at infinity for a photon's journey relate to the concept of time dilation?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass at different rates for observers in different gravitational fields or moving at different speeds. The calculation of time at infinity for a photon's journey is related to time dilation in that it also takes into account the effects of gravity on the passage of time. However, time dilation can occur in other scenarios, while time at infinity for a photon's journey specifically refers to the behavior of light in extreme gravitational fields.