What are some open questions in general relativity for microscopic objects?

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Qm
In summary, the conversation focused on a list of open questions in the field of General Relativity (GR). The discussion excluded any topics related to quantum mechanics, LQG, or superstring theory. The questions were specifically about microscopic objects with energies much lower than the Planck scale and the precision of GR in explaining them. The list included questions about the validity of different versions of GR, the formation of superextreme black holes, the possibility of passing through the "blue sheet" unharmed, and the stability of the Kerr solution. The conversation also mentioned the lack of answers to these questions and provided links to further discussions on the topic.
Dmitry67
I wanted to check with you a list of open, unresolved questions in GR. It is well known that GR is not compatible with QM, so obviously there are many unsolved mysteries on the QM level. However, here I wanted to focus exclusively on a small subset of questions:

not related to QM, LQG, superstring etc. So we are talking about microscopic objects with energies << plank scale and spacetime curvature >> plank scale. It is an area where GR should explain everything (with some precision).

Here is my list. Please let me know if something can be removed from it. Or added.

1. What GR version is true: classical or Eistein-Cartran.
2. Can a superextreme BH be formed, naturally or artificially? (cosmic censorship hypotesis)
2a. What happens if kerr singularity becomes naked and observers can enter closed time-like loops?
3. Can observers pass thru the "blue sheet" unharmed?
4. How stable is the Kerr solution in case of a real black hole, so if it contains hot gas, emiting light, particles, hitting the "blue sheet"/Cauchy horizon forming there infinite density?
5. What happens if we go thru the kerr ring?

Let me know if you know any answers. I asked some of these questions before but nobody replied...

Physics news on Phys.org
1. At the moment, there are no experiments that could distinguish between pure Einstein and Einstein-Cartan theory. From the theoretical point of view, various attempts to formulate more fundamental theories involve supergravity, which suggests that Einstein-Cartan could be more correct than pure Einstein.

1. What is general relativity (GR)?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that was proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It explains how gravity works in terms of the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

2. How is GR different from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity is based on the concept of a force acting between two objects due to their masses. In GR, gravity is described as the curvature of space and time, and objects move along the shortest path in this curved space-time.

3. Is GR proven to be true?

GR has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the behavior of objects in the presence of massive bodies. However, it is not considered to be a complete theory and is still being researched and refined.

4. What are some current open questions in GR?

Some open questions in GR include the nature of black holes and their behavior, the origin and evolution of the universe, and the relationship between GR and quantum mechanics.

5. How does GR relate to space travel?

GR is essential for space travel as it helps us understand how objects move in the presence of massive bodies, such as planets and stars. It also plays a role in the prediction and correction of spacecraft trajectories.