Exploring GR: Topics for a Theoretical Physics Research Paper

In summary, the speaker is an engineering sophomore interested in pursuing theoretical physics after their undergraduate studies. They have completed online courses in special and general relativity and are currently studying the mathematics behind the Schwarzschild metric. They are considering writing a paper to build their profile, but their ideas are not deemed paper-worthy by others. They are also concerned about their GPA as an engineering major. The experts suggest that majoring in physics would be more beneficial for their goal of attending a good physics graduate school.
santo35
Hi people , i am an engineering sophomore. but after my undergrad i want to move into physics lane especially theoretical physics. for which i am doing ground works and building my profile ( as a non physics student , to get into good physics grad school i would need a good profile ofcourse !) ...

My level of physics now is that i have completed Special and general relativity courses onilne and kinda of got a good idea on these two (both mathematical and conceptual). i am a person who does physics through rigorous math. i am now in the level of understanding the mathamtics behind swarchild metric derivation.

Every one around me says it is good to start publishing papers. well my idea about publishing papers is that people "invent" or "discover" something and then they formally present it in a paper calling it so. but now at this stage i guess that is way of my league. but since i do need to build my profile i came up with these two topics. i just wanted to know would this be an acceptable area to write paper on
1) Complete review about how the solution of EFE turns out for a point mass in vacuum like the derivation , meaning of it and the method used
2) (this one is my own idea) - finding the condition for communication to occur between 2 points inside the photon sphere and outside the event horizon ( to begin with let's say for a swarchild black hole)

but i kinda think i need to learn a bit more math to do the second one. but i guess that would be interesting. and will 1st one get the status of writing a paper ?

Thanks for your replies

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, none of this is paper-worthy.

#1 is covered in every GR textbook. There is no need for a review article, and even if there was, it makes no sense at all for someone's first paper to be a review article. (That being said, writing a review article is a fantastic way to learn a lot for yourself, it's just not a publishable contribution).

#2 is far too trivial to be the subject of a paper. This is the kind of thing you would find on a homework set for a GR class.

If you want to become a physicist, majoring in physics will be more helpful than to publish a paper of the sort you describe (assuming you can get them published). The other thing that will help is to start reading papers; that's a good first step to writing one.

Nabeshin said:
#1 is covered in every GR textbook. There is no need for a review article, and even if there was, it makes no sense at all for someone's first paper to be a review article. (That being said, writing a review article is a fantastic way to learn a lot for yourself, it's just not a publishable contribution).

I'm not a physicist, so am not qualified to comment on the main question. But wouldn't papers like http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.3189 and http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.5089 indicate that this is still a research topic?

atyy said:
I'm not a physicist, so am not qualified to comment on the main question. But wouldn't papers like http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.3189 and http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.5089 indicate that this is still a research topic?

Perhaps I misunderstood the original suggestion, but I took it to mean essentially a derivation of the Schwarzschild metric from the EFE.

As for self-forces... I'm pretty sure people are still writing papers about those even in Maxwell's theory!

thanks a lot everyone for the view, well out of curiosity , my current CGPA is 7.2 on 10 as i am doing engineering and not a physics course , when applying to universities , will my GPA affect the selection procedure ? because i find it hard to concentrate both on learning physics as well as engineering ...

Let me say it again. If you want to go into grad school in physics, you should major it it.

1. What is General Relativity (GR)?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It explains how the force of gravity arises from the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. What are some interesting topics to explore in a theoretical physics research paper on GR?

Some interesting topics to explore in a theoretical physics research paper on GR include the cosmological constant problem, black hole thermodynamics, gravitational waves, and tests of GR in extreme environments.

3. How does GR differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

GR differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it takes into account the curvature of spacetime, while Newton's theory treats gravity as a force between massive objects. GR also predicts different phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects.

4. What are some current challenges or open questions in the field of GR?

Some current challenges in the field of GR include the unification of GR with quantum mechanics, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the singularity problem in black holes.

5. How is GR relevant in our everyday lives?

GR is relevant in our everyday lives as it helps explain the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and it is also used in technologies such as GPS. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its evolution.