1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GR- tensor transformation

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a vector X^a (n.b ^ indicates superscript) and covector Aa. We need to show that
    X^b (d(Aa)/d(x^b) - d(Ab)/d(x^a))

transforms correctly under an artbitrary smooth change of coords. N.b the derivatives are partial.

By using the transformation rules for the vector and covector respectively I get four terms, two of which give us the required transformation rule. I can't get the other two to disappear. I'd appreciate any hints.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I do it I find the other two terms vanish because they contain a term like [tex] \frac{ \partial^2 f}{\partial x \partial y}-\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x}[/tex].
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    I managed to get this. I was differentiating with respect to the wrong coordinate system, which messed up the calculation. I then tried using the chain rule and differentiating with respect to the other coord system and it all fell out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?