In summary, the quiz is easy to medium in difficulty. As always, post your score in the comment thread.
Time to test your science knowledge with a fun 10 question quiz with random questions across all sciences. Difficulty is easy to medium. As always, post your score in the comment thread. Enjoy!1. What element is missing?
periodic_table1.png

Iron
 Chromium
 Silver
 Osmium
2. Who’s missing in this 1927 Solvay Conference photo
solvay_conference.png

James Clerk Maxwell
 Ernest Rutherford
 J. Robert Oppenheimer
 Marie Curie
3. Where is the Discovery space shuttle?
 Kennedy Space Center Visitor
 Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum
 California Science Center
 NASA’s Johnson Space Center
4. What is the distance from the Earth to the moon?
 208,400 mi
 222,100 mi
 234,800 mi
 238,900 mi
5. Who invented the number zero?
 Brahmagupta
 Mohammed ibn-Musa al-Khowarizmi
 Fibonacci
 Rene Descartes
6. What is this zoomed in object...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• periodic_table1.png
    periodic_table1.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
Likes Ibix, Charles Link and QuantumQuest
Physics news on Phys.org
I got 4.
I was disappointed with that.

I got 6
I really messed up the one about the moon.

6, five I was certain of plus one guess.

I liked number 2 - the answer can be deduced with high confidence with a little study.

Likes Charles Link
8/10. Pay attention to context and subtle clues.

Likes Dragrath and Greg Bernhardt
8, 9, & 10 got me. Enjoyed it. Really wish "Bill Barr" was an option for question #1.

:)

8/10 though I got lucky on a number of guesses. Only was sure on 1), 2) & 3) As always the ability to eliminate options really helps. For 10) I was even able to eliminate 3 answers leaving only one possible option.

The two I got wrong were 6) where I avoided the correct answer thinking it was too obvious and had to be a red herring and the fruit related question where I could have sworn two of those answers were not berries. Tricky...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
8/10. I didn't correctly guess the microscope picture of the flower, and I got the moon distance wrong but I think the question was ambiguous. The answer given as correct (about 238,900 miles) is the mean distance from the Earth's center to the moon's center. I thought the question was looking for the distance between them, that is between the Earth's surface and the moon's surface, which is about 5,000 miles less, so I went for the option nearest 234,000.

Likes Klystron and Charles Link
5 and I guessed one.
I did not get phosphorus! All that ADP and ATP! Annoyed.
Edit, of the 4 biology questions I got one right and that was a half guess!

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
pinball1970 said:
5 and I guessed one.
I did not get phosphorus! All that ADP and ATP! Annoyed.
Edit, of the 4 biology questions I got one right and that was a half guess!
yeah phosphorus was tricky since it breaks the trend of elemental abundances being relatively uncommon in the universe it is also being depeleted by humans so quickly that it is creating a looming crisis as the Earth's phosphorus is becoming washed out to sea or concentrated in cemeteries and landfills. Without the molecules built from it we can't take in energy from food or replicate genetic information. I wouldn't be surprised if gross missuse and waste of resources could play a role in the Fermi paradox...

Dragrath said:
yeah phosphorus was tricky since it breaks the trend of elemental abundances being relatively uncommon in the universe it is also being depeleted by humans so quickly that it is creating a looming crisis as the Earth's phosphorus is becoming washed out to sea or concentrated in cemeteries and landfills. Without the molecules built from it we can't take in energy from food or replicate genetic information. I wouldn't be surprised if gross missuse and waste of resources could play a role in the Fermi paradox...
That's as depressing as my mediocre score.

5/10 BUT I changed 3 first correct answers.

Moon distance 234,000 miles, learned as a child. Not expecting center-to-center.
Take a daily potassium supplement, so chose it over phosphorus.
I knew where Discovery was but when I went back to score answers, hit the NASA button instead.
Guessed flower first due to Fibonacci spirals but changed to 'iris of eye' due to 'hole' bottom left.

Got old Marie correct as she wore different clothing and, in another context, knew she was at Solvay conference. Chose Fleming correctly due to lab coat and the objects in his hands.

Miles in a science quiz, seriously?

Likes Dragrath and Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
Miles in a science quiz, seriously?
It's a quiz @mfb a bit of fun. Also 93 million miles has a ring to it.

Likes Klystron
For fun I would have expected furlongs.

1. What is the purpose of "Grab Bag Science Quiz and Trivia"?

The purpose of "Grab Bag Science Quiz and Trivia" is to provide a fun and interactive way for people to test their knowledge and understanding of various scientific topics. It also aims to educate and inform individuals about different scientific concepts and discoveries.

2. How many questions are included in the quiz?

The quiz contains a total of 50 questions, covering a wide range of scientific disciplines such as biology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy.

3. Can I play the quiz alone or with friends?

You can play the quiz both alone and with friends. It can be a fun activity to do on your own, or you can challenge your friends and see who knows more about science.

4. Are the questions suitable for all ages?

Yes, the questions are designed to be suitable for all ages. However, some questions may be more challenging for younger children, while others may require a deeper understanding of science for adults.

5. Is there a time limit for completing the quiz?

No, there is no time limit for completing the quiz. You can take as much time as you need to answer the questions. However, for a more challenging experience, you can set a timer for yourself or compete against others to see who can answer the questions the fastest.

Back