1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Grad courses and so on

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to know some things about grad studies:

i) What does it mean "part time student" or "full time student"?. I am going to work as GSR, and I think it has to do with it, hasn't it?

ii) How much free am I to choose the grad courses I want?

iii) How many courses do you have to complete?

iv) could I choose as many courses as I want?

v) and what's "a unit"?. Is a unit a course, or is what in europe we call "credit"?

I will have to discuss this stuff with my advisor, but I prefer to know something about what the hell he is talking me about.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2005 #2
    afaik, it has to do with how many credit-hours you are taking. for example, in the state of florida, 12 or more credits (typically, four classes) is full-time for undergrads, fewer is part time; and 9 or more is full-time for grad students.

other standards may apply to different school systems, though.

yeah, definitely ask your advisor this stuff. some terminology and standards vary greatly from one school to the next.
  4. Aug 13, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4
    That will definetely vary with whichever college you're in.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?