Grad Studies: Part-Time vs. Full-Time, Courses & Units

• Courses
  • Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses Grad
In summary: Generally, you'll have a lot more freedom if you're an full-time student, but it really depends on the school. Generally, you'll want to aim for around 18-24 credits per semester.v) and what's "a unit"?. Is a unit a course, or is what in europe we call "credit"?.A unit is typically a course.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I want to know some things about grad studies:

i) What does it mean "part time student" or "full time student"?. I am going to work as GSR, and I think it has to do with it, hasn't it?

ii) How much free am I to choose the grad courses I want?

iii) How many courses do you have to complete?

iv) could I choose as many courses as I want?

v) and what's "a unit"?. Is a unit a course, or is what in europe we call "credit"?

Thanks!

I will have to discuss this stuff with my advisor, but I prefer to know something about what the hell he is talking me about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clausius2 said:
I want to know some things about grad studies:

i) What does it mean "part time student" or "full time student"?. I am going to work as GSR, and I think it has to do with it, hasn't it?

afaik, it has to do with how many credit-hours you are taking. for example, in the state of florida, 12 or more credits (typically, four classes) is full-time for undergrads, fewer is part time; and 9 or more is full-time for grad students.

other standards may apply to different school systems, though.

v) and what's "a unit"?. Is a unit a course, or is what in europe we call "credit"?

Thanks!

I will have to discuss this stuff with my advisor, but I prefer to know something about what the hell he is talking me about.

yeah, definitely ask your advisor this stuff. some terminology and standards vary greatly from one school to the next.

Thanx!

--------------------

Clausius2 said:

That will definitely vary with whichever college you're in.

1. What is the main difference between part-time and full-time graduate studies?

The main difference between part-time and full-time graduate studies is the amount of time and commitment required. Full-time graduate students typically take a larger course load and complete their degree in a shorter amount of time, while part-time students have a smaller course load and take longer to complete their degree.

2. How many courses should I take per semester as a part-time graduate student?

The number of courses you should take per semester as a part-time graduate student can vary depending on your personal schedule and workload. However, a common recommendation is to take 1-2 courses per semester to balance your studies with other commitments.

3. What is the typical course load for a full-time graduate student?

The typical course load for a full-time graduate student is 9-12 units per semester. This can vary depending on the program and university, but most full-time students take 3-4 courses per semester.

4. Can I switch between part-time and full-time status during my graduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch between part-time and full-time status during your graduate studies. However, it is important to check with your university and program to understand the requirements and implications of making this change.

5. How many units do I need to complete for a graduate degree?

The number of units required for a graduate degree can vary depending on the program and university. Typically, a full-time graduate student will need to complete 30-36 units to earn a master's degree and 60-90 units for a doctoral degree. Part-time students may need to complete more units due to their longer timeline for completing the degree.