1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad(div(V)) = 0 ?

1. Nov 23, 2015 #1
    This is closely related to this thread I posted yesterday, but the question is different so I created another thread. There is a vector identity often used when deriving EM waves equation :

d0e4740eaf9a820b14f267ae70cf9bca.png

Then the grad(div(V)) part of it is simply dropped, assuming it equals 0. And I wonder why.

Is it because, since there is no "sources" here (no charges), any divergence is 0 ? Can this be proven more formally ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't it because the identity is used for ##V=E## and ##V=H##, and according to Maxwell's equations (see your Wikipedia link):
    ##\nabla.{E}=0##
    ##\nabla.{H}=0##
    ?

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Yes, that's the reason.

5. Nov 23, 2015 #4
    Oh ! Of course ! Thank you. Well, I formulated that divergence without charges/sources is 0, that is indeed Gauss's law from Maxwell's in vacuum...There is the obvious formalism I was looking for, I should have seen it. -_-'

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook