1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad of a scalar field

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T(r) be a scalar field. Show that, in spherical coordinates T = (∂T/∂r) rˆ + (1/r)(∂T/∂θ) θˆ + (1/(r*sin(θ)))(∂T/∂φ) φˆ

Hint. Compute T(r+dl)−T(r) = T(r+dr, θ+dθ, φ+dφ)−T(r, θ, φ) in two different ways for the infinitesimal displacement dl = dr rˆ + rdθ θˆ + r*sin(θ)dφ φˆ and compare the two results.

2. Relevant equations
    = (∂/∂x)xˆ + (∂/∂y)yˆ + (∂/∂z)zˆ

3. The attempt at a solution
    dT(r) ≡ T(r+dl)-T(r) = T(r+dr, θ+dθ, φ+dφ) - T(r,θ,φ) = (T(r,θ,φ) + (∂T(r)/∂r)dr + (∂T(r)/∂θ)dθ + (∂T(r)/∂φ)dφ) - T(r,θ,φ)

⇒ dT(r) = (∂T(r)/∂r)dr + (∂T(r)/∂θ)dθ + (∂T(r)/∂φ)dφ

But I don't know where I can go from here, and I don't think what I've done previously is correct (I rubbed out some of the work that continued form this, as I don't know what I can and can't use.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think they are defining the gradient [itex]\nabla T[/itex] to be a vector such that [itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl} = dT[/itex]. You already have computed [itex]dT[/itex]; it's just [itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial r} dr + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \theta} d\theta + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \phi} d\phi[/itex]. So you have the equation:

[itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial r} dr + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \theta} d\theta + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \phi} d\phi[/itex]

The left-hand side of that equation can be written as: [itex](\nabla T)_r (dl)_r + (\nabla T)_\theta (dl)_\theta +(\nabla T)_\phi (dl)_\phi[/itex], where [itex](\nabla T)_r[/itex] means the r-component of [itex]\nabla T[/itex], etc. and [itex](dl)_r[/itex] means the r-component of [itex]dl[/itex], etc.

So just expand [itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl}[/itex] in terms of components of [itex]\nabla T[/itex] and [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex], and see what you get.

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    What is the equation for ##\vec{dl}## in spherical coordinates (I.e., using the spherical coordinate unit vectors)?

5. Oct 3, 2016 #4
    (T)r(dl)r = (∂T/∂r)(dr/dr)rˆ = (∂T/∂r)rˆ

(T)θ(dl)θ = (∂T/∂r)(dθ/dθ)θˆ = (∂T/∂θ)(1/r)θˆ

(T)φ(dl)φ = (∂T/∂φ)(dφ/dφ)φˆ = (∂T/∂φ)(1/(r*sin(θ)))φˆ

T(r) = (T)r(dl)r + (T)θ(dl)θ + (T)φ(dl)φ = (∂T/∂r)rˆ + (∂T/∂θ)(1/r)θˆ + (∂T/∂φ)(1/(r*sin(θ)))φˆ

This is what I had before, but I didn't think this was right.
    And I also, apparently, have to do it with another method.

6. Oct 3, 2016 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, there is no [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]. When you take a dot-product, you just get a number:
    [itex](\nabla T)_r (dl)_r = \frac{\partial T}{\partial r} dr[/itex]

So, you didn't actually take my hint. Let me spell it out for you more explicitly:

One way of calculating [itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl}[/itex]:
    [itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl} = (\nabla T)_r (dl)_r + (\nabla T)_\theta (dl)_\theta + (\nabla T)_\phi (dl)_\phi[/itex]

We have: [itex](dl)_r = dr[/itex], [itex](dl)_\theta = r d\theta[/itex], [itex](dl)_\phi = r sin(\theta) d\phi[/itex]. So we have:

[itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl} = (\nabla T)_r dr + (\nabla T)_\theta r d\theta + (\nabla T)_\phi r sin(\theta) d\phi[/itex]

Second way of calculating [itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl}[/itex]:

[itex](\nabla T) \cdot \vec{dl} = dT = \frac{\partial T}{\partial r} dr + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \theta} d\theta + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \phi} d\phi[/itex]

So putting those two together gives you:

[itex](\nabla T)_r dr + (\nabla T)_\theta r d\theta + (\nabla T)_\phi r sin(\theta) d\phi = \frac{\partial T}{\partial r} dr + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \theta} d\theta + \frac{\partial T}{\partial \phi} d\phi [/itex]

So, what do you think [itex](\nabla T)_r[/itex] must be? What is [itex](\nabla T)_\theta[/itex]? What is [itex](\nabla T)_\phi[/itex]?

7. Oct 3, 2016 #6

Sorry, I kept thinking ∇ had to be a vector.

(∇T)r = (∂T/∂r)

(∇T)θ = (∂T/∂θ)(1/r)

(∇T)φ = (∂T/∂φ)(1/(r*sin(θ)))

8. Oct 3, 2016 #7
    Your answer is correct. But your implication that del is not a vector is not quite correct. Del is a vector operator.

9. Oct 3, 2016 #8

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is a vector (in the way you're being taught--it actually should be a covector, but that's kind of an advanced topic). A vector has three components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted