1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad of composite function

1. Aug 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8175/46521897.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have a starting point, but I'm not 100% sure
    Basically I thought of just computing grad(f(α(t)) · dα/dt and showing its equal to zero.

Am I on the right track, or shall I try another approach?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hey tnp, i think you might want to start by taking the gradient of both sides of the original equation: grad(f(α(t)) = grad(c)

as the prove is an "if & only if", you might have to think about whether this proves both directions of the theorem, ie. "if" and "only if"

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    \cdotok, say I were to take grad of lhs, I need to apply chain rule since f(α(t))

so..

df/dt = (df/dα)(dα/dt)

I recognise (dα/dt) as [tex]\dot{\alpha}[/tex], which leads me to

df/dt = (df/dα)([tex]\dot{\alpha}[/tex])

Also, since [tex]\alpha[/tex] has components [tex]\alpha[/tex]1, [tex]\alpha[/tex]2, [tex]\alpha[/tex]3, ......, [tex]\alpha[/tex]n+1

df/dα = ([tex]\partial[/tex]f/d[tex]\alpha[/tex]1, [tex]\partial[/tex]f/d[tex]\alpha[/tex]2, ....,[tex]\partial[/tex]f/d[tex]\alpha[/tex]n+1) which I recognise is [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(α(t)),

this df/dt = [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(α(t)) [tex]\cdot[/tex] [tex]\dot{\alpha}[/tex] which is what I wanted.

I hope i'm correct up to here and it isn't too messy to show with the latex...o:)

But as you said before, the question states, if and only if, which means I have to show both ways. Puzzled as to how to do the reverse way...

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4
    can anybody help please? :P

6. Aug 20, 2009 #5
    Could you possibly provide me the name of the textbook?

Regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook