1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad operation

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] grad operation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate grad([tex]\Phi[/tex]) in terms of r and r, where [tex]\Phi[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{r^{3}}[/tex]

r= xi + yj + zk
    r = magnitude (r)

The r cubed term is scalar by the way, it comes out looking bold for some reason.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = ( [tex]\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}[/tex] [tex])^{-3}[/tex] = [tex](x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})[/tex][tex]^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/tex]

grad[tex]\Phi[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x}[/tex]i + [tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y}[/tex]j + [tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial z}[/tex]k

[tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x}[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] let [tex](x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})[/tex] = u

[tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-3}{2}u^{\frac{-5}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex] = 2x

[tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x}[/tex] = 2x([tex]\frac{-3}{2}u^{\frac{-5}{2}}[/tex])

= -3x([tex](x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})[/tex][tex])^{\frac{-5}{2}}[/tex] = -3x( [tex]\frac{1}{r^{5}}[/tex] )

differentials with respect to y and z will be identical except swapping -3x for -3y and -3z.

These will be the terms for i j and k

Giving a final answer of

-[tex]\frac{3}{r^{5}}[/tex] (r).

EDIT (again the r^5 term is the magnitude not the vector)

Is this the correct solution? can anybody help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks fine to me.

Another way to go about this problem is to use the formula for grad in spherical polar coordinates (see this .pdf for example). In this case, it will reduce to [tex]\nabla\left(\frac{1}{r^3}\right)=\hat{\bold{r}}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^{-3})=\hat{\bold{r}}\cdot\frac{-3}{r^4}[/tex] which is the same result.

4. May 13, 2008 #3
    [tex]r= \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}[/tex]

you will need to rethink your unit vector r.

5. May 13, 2008 #4
    Thank you very much

EDIT: what do you mean phrak? i used the equation you give for the magnitude of r, and it is not a unit vector in my question.

6. May 13, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

His r isn't a unit vector, it is [itex]\bold{r}=(x,y,z)[/itex]. The unit vector, which I denoted with a hat, is then [tex]\hat{\bold{r}}=\frac{\bold{r}}{r}[/tex]

7. May 13, 2008 #6
    Thanks, Cristo. my bad. I didn't read far enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?