1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School Admission questions

1. May 1, 2009 #1
    Hello. I'm an international student studying Computer Engineering at University of Wyoming. I'm graduating in December 2009 and I hoped to get some advice regarding the admission of a grad school based on my standing.

I've already took the GRE, and I got 600/760/4.0 for Verbal, Quantitative, and writing respectively so I think I did O.K. in it. Problem lies on my current GPA, as it is at 2.8, but that is because I failed couple of classes and I plan to retake them before I graduate. I expect the GPA to be raised at least above 3.1 by then.

So the question I wanted to ask is, if I wanted to apply for M.S degree in either Electrical Engineering or Computer Science at schools such as Texas A&M and UT at Austin (I ruled out Tier 1 schools to begin with due to my GPA), what do you think my odds of getting in will be? If I DO get in, what about the odds of receiving a financial aid?

I know this is an absurd question to ask, but I'd seriously appreciate your honest opinions on this matter. This issue has been troubling me for quite a while. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2009 #2
  4. May 2, 2009 #3
    Ah yes.. that's practically what I meant, but Austin was kind of an exception in the case I guess.

Anyways, any thoughts on my odds?

5. May 2, 2009 #4
    Admissions to top 25 schools is still very very competitive. It might be a notch below top 10 admissions, but it is still very difficult. You should contact the department you are interested in and gauge what your chances are. But there is not a significant dropoff in terms of competitiveness when you go from top 10 to top 25.

6. May 3, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I might even argue that the quality of a Top 25 school is often the same or better than a Top 10 school: just not in all subfields.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook