Grad School Admissions Process

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of applying to graduate school and the importance of having strong contacts at the school. It is suggested to reach out to professors whose work aligns with your research interests. However, the difficulty of understanding scientific articles is also mentioned, and the question arises of what to say when contacting professors. Additional advice on applying to grad school is also requested.
unhorizon
Hey everyone,

I am a rising senior Elecrical engineering major at University of Delaware. I have done research in biomedical optics for 2 years and am highly motivated to go to graduate school. I have bought the book "Getting What You Came For", which is a guide to applying and living through graduate school. It's a great book, but I would like to know what some of you think about applying to grad school.

My adviser at school gave me this advice: before you apply to graduate school, e-mail professors whose work you are interested in. Read their publications and try to ask questions. "Getting What You Came For" has similar advice. Basically, it sounds like the best bet to getting in is to have strong contacts at the school who are interested in being your adviser if you get in.

I think this makes sense. I'm planning to go for my PhD, and I don't think it makes sense to go to a school for 6 years without knowing anyone there that is interested in working with you. However, I have been researching grad schools and looking for professors with research interests similar to mine (biomedical imaging/optics), and I have had a hard time understanding a lot of their publications. Again, I have been working with a professor for 2 years doing research, so I have some experience reading scientific articles in my field, but I still find it hard to fully understand everything that is going on in the publications I am reading. I can grasp big picture concepts, like the basic idea of the articles, what techniques they are using, but when it comes down to nitty gritty things such as equations and methods, I find it hard to get through.

At the same time, however, I feel like it is somewhat normal for even an experienced undergrad to have a hard time understanding everything in scientific articles without clarification about some parts. So my question is: what should I say when I contact professors I am interested in? Should I try to talk to them about their research, or should I just say I am interested in working with them and talk about the research I have done?

Any other advice on applying to grad school would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
You might consider asking your research adviser for suggestions on who to get in touch with - that way, if nothing else, when you contact them you can say "so-and-so suggested I talk to you."

I'm not a professor, so I don't know what exactly they'd want to hear, but I'd imagine that describing (briefly!) the research you are doing, or have done, couldn't hurt. Hopefully the professor you're contacting will understand what you've been doing, and it will give them an idea of whether you can contribute to their research project.

(apologies for blatantly misusing "them"/"their" :wink:)

Dear Matt,

First of all, congratulations on your research experience and your interest in pursuing graduate school! It sounds like you have already taken some important steps in preparing for the application process by purchasing a guidebook and seeking advice from your advisor. I would like to offer some additional thoughts and suggestions to consider as you navigate the grad school admissions process.

As you mentioned, having strong connections and a clear understanding of the research interests of potential advisors is crucial in the grad school application process. It is a good idea to reach out to professors whose work aligns with your own interests, but it is also important to approach these interactions thoughtfully and strategically. When contacting professors, it is important to be respectful of their time and to demonstrate genuine interest in their research. Rather than simply stating that you are interested in working with them, try to highlight specific aspects of their work that you find intriguing and ask thoughtful questions. This will not only show that you have taken the time to familiarize yourself with their research, but it will also give you a better understanding of their work and help you determine if it is a good fit for your interests and goals.

In terms of your difficulty understanding scientific articles, this is a common challenge for many students, even those with research experience. It is important to remember that graduate school is a learning process and you will continue to develop your skills and knowledge as you progress through the program. However, if you are struggling to understand certain concepts or techniques, it may be helpful to reach out to the authors of the publications you are reading. Many researchers are happy to clarify any questions you may have about their work and it can also be a great opportunity to establish a connection with them.

In addition to building relationships with potential advisors, it is also important to have a strong application. This includes a well-written personal statement, strong letters of recommendation, and a solid academic record. It may also be beneficial to gain additional research experience or participate in relevant extracurricular activities to demonstrate your commitment and passion for your field of study.

Overall, my advice would be to continue researching potential graduate programs and reaching out to professors, while also making sure your application is as strong as possible. Remember, the grad school admissions process can be competitive, but with determination and preparation, you can increase your chances of being accepted into a program that aligns with your interests and goals.

Best of luck,

[Your Title/Position]

1. What are the requirements for admission into a graduate program?

The requirements for admission into a graduate program vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a strong academic record, and relevant experience or research background. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

2. How important are GRE scores in the graduate school admissions process?

GRE scores are just one factor that admissions committees consider when evaluating applicants. While a strong score can certainly help your application, it is not the only determining factor. Admissions committees also look at your academic record, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement.

3. What is the difference between a Master's and PhD program?

A Master's program typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on coursework and possibly a research project or thesis. A PhD program, on the other hand, can take 4-6 years and is heavily research-focused. In a PhD program, you are expected to conduct original research and write a dissertation. Additionally, PhD programs often come with funding opportunities such as teaching or research assistantships.

4. How can I increase my chances of getting accepted into a graduate program?

There are several things you can do to increase your chances of getting accepted into a graduate program. First, make sure you meet all of the requirements and have a strong academic record. Additionally, try to gain relevant experience in your field through internships, research projects, or volunteer work. Strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also make your application stand out.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific major or undergraduate degree to apply for a graduate program?

No, it is not always necessary to have a specific major or undergraduate degree to apply for a graduate program. While some programs may have specific prerequisites, many are open to applicants from a variety of backgrounds. However, having a degree in a related field may give you an advantage and help you succeed in the program.