1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School and Field

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    I'm about to apply grad school and I'm trying to get an idea of the field I would like to go into within physics. I'm pretty good with theory but I really prefer hands on work. I would also like to specialize in a topic in which it is easy to find research work that is not related to defense. Space exploration and the environment are two topics that I find particularly interesting.

I have a lot of computer science experience and I have thought about going into Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering but I get the idea there isn't a lot of hands on work in these field. Lately I have been leaning more towards programs in applied physics but I feel like my focus should be a little more narrow than simply applied physics.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you thought about medical physics?

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    No, I hadn't even thought about that. I have been looking for something with an interdisciplinary component which medical physics certainly has. I will definitely look into it further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook