• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Schools Grad School Application Essay

• Thread starter unhorizon
  • Start date
Hey all,

I'm applying to grad school this fall, and I'm starting to think about my application essay. I'm going for biomedical engineering (specifically imaging), and most of the essay topics are similar (Why is this program right for you? Why do you want to study it? etc.) I just bought Donald Asher's book on grad school admission essays, but I was wondering if any grad students had any advice for me concerning the admissions essay.

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Usually the essay is not the "make or break" factor in admissions, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put an effort into it. For the most part, admissions committees want to know your motivations for getting into the program, that you understand what you're doing, that you have a certain level of independence, and that there is evidence that you'll be successful in the program. The essay is your opportunity to formally explain your interests and your background. You can include obstacles you've overcome to get where you are (although try not so come across like a whiner), and personal triumphs you've had. It also helps to include some information that makes you unique so that you'll stand out during the admissions process and so that they'll have something to say about you when they're introducing you to the department.