What degree should I select when applying for grad school: Masters or PhD?

In summary, the individual has a B.S. in Physics and is now applying for grad school. They are unsure whether to select masters or PhD on the application and are worried about the implications of each choice. However, it is generally preferred for applicants to have only a bachelor's degree when applying for PhD programs in the US, so the individual should select PhD on the application.
guitarguy314
Hi everyone. Just for a bit of background info, I earned my B.S. in Physics in May.

I'm applying for grad school (for next year), but I'm kinda stuck on part of the application. It's kind of silly, but I'm a worrier.

There's a spot on the application for you to select what degree you are seeking, masters, or PhD. Which should I select?

I'd like to go for my PhD, but my worry is that if I select that, they'll be looking for me to already have a Masters degree, and I won't get in because they'll think that my resume will be incomplete.

My worry if I select masters degree is that they won't think to sign me up for tuition waivers, and the stipend that PhD students get.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should select PhD. In the US admission committees are looking for people fresh out of undergrad, not people with masters degrees.

I'm, worried that I wasn't clear. I am planning to go for PhD, but I do not have a masters degree. My worry is that selecting PhD will put me in an incomplete application limbo. The idea being that they will be waiting for proof of my masters degree from somewhere.

Or am I just worrying for nothing, and the department will figure it out?

In the US admission committees are looking for people fresh out of undergrad, not people with masters degrees. Does this make sense? Are you in the US?

it makes perfect sense, I was just making sure that I worded the question correctly. Thanks for your response.

1. What is the purpose of "Grad School Application help"?

Grad School Application help is a service that provides guidance and support to individuals who are applying to graduate school. This can include assistance with selecting schools, crafting personal statements, and understanding the application process.

2. Who can benefit from "Grad School Application help"?

Anyone who is considering applying to graduate school can benefit from this service. This includes recent college graduates, working professionals, and individuals who have been out of school for some time.

3. What type of support is offered through "Grad School Application help"?

Grad School Application help offers a range of support services such as one-on-one consultations, essay reviews, and application workshops. Some services may also include mock interviews and assistance with creating a strong resume or CV.

4. How can "Grad School Application help" increase my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

By utilizing the support and guidance provided by "Grad School Application help", you can improve your application materials and better understand the expectations and requirements of graduate programs. This can help you present yourself as a strong and qualified candidate, increasing your chances of being accepted into your desired program.

5. Is "Grad School Application help" worth the investment?

Ultimately, the value of "Grad School Application help" will depend on your individual needs and goals. However, for many individuals, the support and guidance provided by this service can greatly improve their chances of being accepted into graduate school and can also save them time and stress during the application process.