1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school application

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I'm currently a final undergrad student and trying to apply for grad school. The thing is that on the application forms there is a section about "scholarships, prizes and distinctions" and last year I was nominated for the JYA programme at Cambridge by our university with a conditional scholarship offer. However, I wasn't able to actually go because of some reasons and hence didn't really get the scholarship.

So I'm wondering whether it is appropriate to add this on the list or on my CV?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I guess it depends on what those reasons were and whether you would be comfortable discussing them in an interview.
    Selection for programs is a good thing. Not attending or declining could be seen in a negative light.

4. Sep 8, 2016 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can reference it, but you have to be careful about how you word things. You have to be truthful.

Being "nominated" for something can have different connotations depending on the context. If it only means that someone in your department endorsed your application, it's probably not worth mentioning. If an independent committee selects you as a finalist for an award in a competition, this probably is worth noting. If you were actually offered the scholarship, but declined for personal reasons, then certainly you should include it. Just make sure you include mention that you declined the award, and that you have some documentation of the offer.

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4
    Thanks for the suggestions!

The main reason for not going was because they told me that they don't have enough capacity for visiting students, and I'm also facing a possible defer (for some lame general education credits) if go for the programme. Does this seem to be okay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted