Grad school apps: attaching proof of scholarships/awards?

In summary, it is suggested to attach documented proof of scholarships/financial awards received during undergrad studies in the US grad program application process. This may be particularly helpful if the awards do not appear on the transcript. However, it is not necessary to attach all documentation and it is important to have copies ready if requested.
Lavabug
When applying to grad programs in the US, is it be a good idea to attach documented proof of having received scholarships/financial awards if they were on both sustained academic performance and need-based grounds? In my country, the grants I got throughout my undergrad are kind of a big deal, and I always got some official certification stating the concession, amount, and components of the grant. For now I've just been stating them in my CV, since in my country the names of students who receive any kind of public grant/award can be looked up at gov't webpages if someone felt so inclined, it is completely open to the public. But I'm not sure adcoms are going to look search through foreign government sites themselves, especially if they don't speak the language.

Would it be helpful to attach the documents to my CV? The documents are not in English so they would require an official translation (as I've already done for my prior degree+transcripts). Is this more trouble than it's worth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the awards appear on your transcript? If so, you are done.

I think what you have done is fine; just make sure that you have copies of the documentation if requested.

No, they don't appear on the transcript.

In that case, I would suggest attaching proof for some of the major awards. Then, make sure you have documentation ready if they request proof for some of the more minor awards.

I understand the importance of providing evidence and proof to support claims and achievements. In the case of grad school applications, attaching documented proof of scholarships and awards can be beneficial in showcasing your academic performance and financial need.

While it may not be a requirement for grad school applications, providing official certification of the grants you received throughout your undergraduate studies can add credibility to your CV and demonstrate your commitment to academic excellence. It also shows that you have been recognized and supported by your country's government, which can be impressive to admissions committees.

However, I understand the concern about the language barrier and the potential hassle of getting the documents translated. In this case, you could consider providing a brief summary or explanation of the grants in English, along with the original documents in your native language. This way, the admissions committee can have a better understanding of your achievements without having to go through the trouble of translation.

Ultimately, the decision to attach the documents is up to you. If you believe the grants and awards are significant and relevant to your application, it may be worth the extra effort to provide the official documents. But if you feel it may not add much value or is too much trouble, it is also acceptable to simply list them in your CV.

In either case, I would recommend reaching out to the admissions committee or a representative from the grad program to inquire about their preferred format for supporting documents. This will ensure that you are providing the most relevant and helpful information for your application. Good luck with your grad school applications!

1. How do I attach proof of scholarships/awards to my grad school application?

Most universities have an online portal where you can upload any required documents, including proof of scholarships or awards. If not, you can typically email the documents to the admissions office or mail them in with your application.

2. What kind of proof is required for scholarships/awards?

Each university may have different requirements, but typically they will ask for official documentation such as a letter or certificate from the organization or institution that awarded the scholarship or award.

3. Can I attach multiple proofs of scholarships/awards?

Yes, if you have received multiple scholarships or awards, you can typically attach all of them to your grad school application. However, make sure to follow the specific instructions of the university you are applying to.

4. What if I don't have proof of a scholarship/award yet?

If you have applied for a scholarship or award but have not received official documentation yet, you can usually provide a confirmation or acceptance letter from the organization or institution. If you are unable to obtain any official proof, you can explain the situation in your application or contact the admissions office for further guidance.

5. Can I still apply to grad school if I don't have any scholarships/awards?

Absolutely! Scholarships and awards are not the only criteria for admission to grad school. Admissions committees also consider factors such as GPA, test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. While scholarships and awards can strengthen your application, they are not required for admission.