How do I handle letters of recommendation for grad school?

In summary, people usually handle this situation by asking their professors to write letters of recommendation, and sending copies to each of the schools they are applying to. If one of the schools requires a special format, the professor will need to do that.
semidevil
so I have 3 choices in my area for graduate school(mathematics). Currently, my gpa is not the higest, so the letters of reccommendations are very important to me. I want to apply to all 3, and and depending on which one I get accepted into, I can choose.

How do I handle my letters of reccomendations from proffessors? I'm not close to my profs at all, but I do have 2 or 3 that I think will be able to help me out a bit. Do I ask them each to write 3 letters, one for each school?

how do people usually handle this type of situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
semidevil said:
so I have 3 choices in my area for graduate school(mathematics). Currently, my gpa is not the higest, so the letters of reccommendations are very important to me. I want to apply to all 3, and and depending on which one I get accepted into, I can choose.

How do I handle my letters of reccomendations from proffessors? I'm not close to my profs at all, but I do have 2 or 3 that I think will be able to help me out a bit. Do I ask them each to write 3 letters, one for each school?

how do people usually handle this type of situation?

I'm kind of in the same position. My Math gpa sucks (about a 2.5). The only option I can think of to combat the gpa problem is to maybe take more math courses outside school after you graduate. That way you could get a better math background and boost the gpa.

you ask them to write one letter and send a copy of it to each school. (unless they happen to feel like writing 3 different ones which is very unlikely).

i don't know enough about GPAs to have an opinion on that.

What's a "gpa"??

Grade point average

bfd said:
Grade point average

yeah, it's an indication of how high your grades have been.

an A (highest mark) is given a 4
a B, 3
C, 2
D, 1
and E (in some colleges) or F, 0.

your grade point average is the arithmetic average of these numerical marks.

so let's suppose that you took five courses so far in college with the following grades:

A, B, A, C, C

gpa: 1/5 * (4 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 2) = 15/5 = 3.0

a 2.5 gpa is a little on the low side...

and, yeah, you ask your professors to write a letter of rec. tell them how many copies, give'em the addresses. unless, of course, one of those schools requires some special format, in which case the professor would need to do that in addition.

In Italy, marks at University are expressed in 30ths, the max is 30 with "lode" (= praise), but, from a physical point of view, our system is too sensitive, yours makes more sense, how can you distinguish a 27 from a 28??

Maxos said:
In Italy, marks at University are expressed in 30ths, the max is 30 with "lode" (= praise), but, from a physical point of view, our system is too sensitive, yours makes more sense, how can you distinguish a 27 from a 28??

lol, wow. that's pretty nuanced.

Bad GPA can really kill your applicaiton. You generally have to have a really good excuse. The only ways to overcome it are to have glowing recommendations, really original research ideas, or in the case of math, a high score in the Putnam. A good score in the Math GRE might help a little bit.

so-crates said:
Bad GPA can really kill your applicaiton. You generally have to have a really good excuse. The only ways to overcome it are to have glowing recommendations, really original research ideas, or in the case of math, a high score in the Putnam. A good score in the Math GRE might help a little bit.

But couldn't it help if you take extra math classes to boost your gpa?

how do you plead to a professor on writing you a reference, when they were going to write you a good one but you screwed up along the way(ie quit).

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

or better

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

They have similar sounds.

1. What is the purpose of graduate school in math?

The purpose of graduate school in math is to provide advanced education and training for students who wish to pursue careers in mathematics or related fields. It also aims to develop students' critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills through rigorous coursework and research.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in math?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree in math varies depending on the program and the student's course load. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral degree.

3. What are the requirements for admission to a graduate program in math?

The requirements for admission to a graduate program in math may vary, but typically include a strong undergraduate background in mathematics, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require a writing sample or an interview.

4. What are the career options for someone with a graduate degree in math?

Graduate degrees in math can lead to a variety of career options, including research and teaching positions in academia, government, and industry. Graduates may also work in fields such as data analysis, finance, and computer science.

5. What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree in math?

A master's degree in math typically involves coursework and a research project, while a doctoral degree requires extensive original research and a dissertation. Doctoral programs also tend to be more specialized and focused on a specific area of math, while master's programs offer a broader foundation in the field.