1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school financial question

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    So im debating between declaring an EE or physics major (im a sophomore at a university). Seems like alot of people come to this crossroads. Honestly, the only reason i would do EE is for the better chances of employment after i get my BS. Now i am having to take out a small school loan to help pay the bills and i am worried that if i major in physics ill be trying to pay off those loans with minimum wage jobs because i cant get a real job anywhere. I also plan to go to grad school. So my question is for the people who had to take out loans and how they managed them after graduating with a BS. Did you take out even more loans during grad school and end up paying the lot of them after recieving a phd?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2
    If you have been accepted by a Ph.D. program but not given any financial support, they have actually rejected you, but wanted to be polite in case you are independently wealthy.

Generally speaking, you should receive tuition and a small stipend during your Ph.D. studies, in exchange for either teaching or research services. You shouldn't have to take out any additional loans to get a Ph.D.

The situation is different for master's degrees. Full support there is the exception, rather than the rule.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    Well said.

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4
    Depends on the school. Well over half of the students accepted into Stanford's EE grad program do not get a funding offer. They typically pay for one year and get support if they pass the Ph.D. screening exam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook