1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School for Condensed Matter: Weizmann/Technion vs. good US school

1. Mar 30, 2014 #1
    Hello Everybody,

I am a senior at a UC school, and I am interested in condensed matter and am open to studying related things (e.g. chemical physics, optics, optical simulations of condensed matter systems), and I'm not sure if I want to study theory or experiment (started out leaning towards theory, but now it is about 50:50.) I've been accepted to Rice as a physics Ph.D. with a fellowship, and recently accepted to Technion for an M.Sc. in physics; I also applied to Weizmann for an M.Sc. and I think I have a good chance of getting in there as well.

My plan upon applying to these programs in Israel was if I didn't get into one of the top schools I applied to (e.g. Cornell, Columbia) I might go to Israel for a masters, and then re-apply to top schools in the US (assuming I did very well in the M.Sc.) Does anyone have a perspective on either Weizmann or Technion for a physics education in condensed matter, and/or have advice about my potentially risky plan? I am wondering if I should give up Rice: I visited and the academic environment + facilities there are really quite good, and they have at least two professors I would be interested in working with. Weizmann, on the other hand, has more than two professors that I would be interested in working with, and I've noticed that many of the graduates from good groups there end up with really good positions in the US for post-docs or sometimes Ph.Ds. I believe that if I did very well there I would have a much better shot for a great US grad school than I did this time around. Aside from academic concerns, I have been to Israel (albeit only for two weeks,) and would be very interested in living there for an extended period of time.

I know this question is very specific to my own situation, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted