Preparing for the GRE: Timing, Resources, GPA Considerations

• Schools
  • Thread starter badtwistoffate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of applying to graduate schools and taking the GREs. The participants are unsure about the timing and preparation for the exam, as well as the process for sending scores to universities. They also mention the importance of finding schools with lower requirements and a useful website for researching grad schools. The conversation ends with a reminder about the availability of the physics subject GRE and a wish for good luck on the exam.
badtwistoffate
Im graduating this spring and I am going to apply to some graduate schools and have to take the GRE's. So.. When is a good time to take them and how much in advance should you prepare for them, like a good rule of thumb?
I was planning early september... Too soon/late?

Also, anyone know a site for small and mid-size graduate schools, preferably meteorology or atmos. sciences?

Also I am not going to send scores yet as its still early and haven't decided where I want to go. So can I get it sent later? Is it bad that i haven't picked schools to send my scores to now?

Also my GPA is a 3.2 out of 4.0 scale and I am a little nervous. I don't go to a big school but a moderate size university. So I am trying to find schools with "MS programs at schools that have lower requirements" so I can have a safe school so to speak. As a lot of programs with my field are big size like the university of Colorado etc so I don't know if my school name might hinder me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A very good website that has profiles of a lot of US gradschools with physics and astronomy programs is http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/" [Broken]

It has very useful information, average GRE score requirements, faculty, etc. The only drawback is that it's not very up to date. It's based on the data of 2002 (I think).

I am myself taking the GREs this fall and I personally think that it depends on your preparation when you'd want to take them.

About sending scores, you can send your score to four universities without any additional fee and you are only supposed to name them just after you take the test, on the test site. So there's plenty of time :biggrin:

Besides if you aren't confident of good scores, why not wait for the results and send them after you are sure they are good? It costs $15 per university! :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
the physics subject GRE is available only in november, december, and april.

This time it's available only in October, November and April. No December GRE Subject this time around!

PrinceOfDarkness said:
This time it's available only in October, November and April. No December GRE Subject this time around!

actually, that makes sense.

Good luck on the GRE. Don't stress out too much.

1. How long should I prepare for the GRE?

The amount of time you should spend preparing for the GRE depends on your individual strengths and weaknesses. On average, most students spend 2-3 months studying for the exam. However, if you feel you need more time, you can start preparing earlier.

2. What resources should I use to study for the GRE?

There are various resources available to help you prepare for the GRE such as study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It is recommended to use a combination of resources to fully prepare for the exam. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the official GRE guide and materials provided by ETS (the company that administers the GRE) can be helpful.

3. How much does my GPA affect my GRE score?

While a high GPA may be indicative of strong academic skills, it does not guarantee a high GRE score. Your GRE score is based on a variety of factors, including your critical thinking and analytical abilities, which may not necessarily be reflected in your GPA. However, having a high GPA can help demonstrate your ability to handle challenging coursework.

4. Is it better to take the GRE multiple times or just once?

It is generally recommended to take the GRE only once, as some graduate programs may average multiple scores. However, if you are not satisfied with your score, you may retake the exam. Just be aware that each test costs money and time, so make sure to thoroughly prepare before taking the GRE again.

5. How important is timing during the GRE?

Timing is crucial during the GRE, as you will have a limited amount of time to answer each question. It is important to practice with timed practice tests to improve your pacing and time management skills. Additionally, make sure to read and fully understand the directions for each section to avoid wasting time during the exam.