Grad School Interview: Preparing for International University Visit

In summary: So I significantly increased my effort in all subjects, and it paid off. I think that my research experience is important, and I would like to emphasize that in my interview.
ygglol
Hello. First post. I recently received an invitation to campus visit and interview for my top choice school. I'm an American student applying to an international university, so I will be traveling abroad. From what I have seen, the school admits about 70% of the interviewed applicants. My application was not stellar, I have strong research experience and letters, but my GPA is severely lacking. It is under a 3.0. This being said, I have made it to the interview, so that counts for something. I am extremely nervous, and I am wondering if anyone has any pointers as to what to expect?

Physics news on Phys.org
ygglol said:
Hello. First post. I recently received an invitation to campus visit and interview for my top choice school. I'm an American student applying to an international university, so I will be traveling abroad. From what I have seen, the school admits about 70% of the interviewed applicants. My application was not stellar, I have strong research experience and letters, but my GPA is severely lacking. It is under a 3.0. This being said, I have made it to the interview, so that counts for something. I am extremely nervous, and I am wondering if anyone has any pointers as to what to expect?
Welcome to the PF, and congrats on making it to the interview level.

Can you say more about the program that you are trying to get into? Physics, Engineering, Math, etc.? What do you want your specialty to be? What research activities have you been involved in? Useful contributions to research activities may count for a lot.

What classes did you have trouble in that brought down your GPA? If they are central to your chosen specialty, that may hurt your chances. If they are secondary to your specialty, and you had good grades in your specialty classes, be sure to emphasize that in your interviews. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, and congrats on making it to the interview level.

Can you say more about the program that you are trying to get into? Physics, Engineering, Math, etc.? What do you want your specialty to be? What research activities have you been involved in? Useful contributions to research activities may count for a lot.

What classes did you have trouble in that brought down your GPA? If they are central to your chosen specialty, that may hurt your chances. If they are secondary to your specialty, and you had good grades in your specialty classes, be sure to emphasize that in your interviews. :smile:

It's a physics phd program. I applied with only my bachelors, so they tack on an extra year. I'm currently involved in quantum information processing, namely electrons on helium at low temperatures, and using the excitation states as qubits. I would ideally like to stay in this field. I'm also involved in computational modelling of the same system, because I think that it's important for labs to utilize simulations.

I scored very low in all subjects, math especially. This went on for my first 2 years of undergrad, mainly because I did not plan on graduate school and didn't really care that much. It wasn't until I started doing research that I decided that the graduate path was where I wanted to end up.

What is a grad school interview?

A grad school interview is a meeting between a prospective graduate student and a representative from the university's admissions committee. This interview is typically conducted to assess the student's qualifications, readiness for graduate studies, and fit for the program.

Why do universities conduct grad school interviews for international students?

Grad school interviews for international students are conducted to get a better understanding of the student's cultural background, language proficiency, and personal qualities. This helps the admissions committee to determine if the student will be able to succeed in the program and adjust to the new environment.

What should I expect during a grad school interview?

During a grad school interview, you can expect to be asked questions about your academic background, research interests, career goals, and personal experiences. The interviewer may also ask you to elaborate on any information provided in your application materials.

How can I prepare for a grad school interview for an international university visit?

To prepare for a grad school interview for an international university visit, you should research the university and program, review your application materials, and practice answering common interview questions. It is also important to be familiar with the culture and customs of the country you will be visiting.

What are some common mistakes to avoid during a grad school interview?

Some common mistakes to avoid during a grad school interview include being unprepared, not researching the program or university, being overly nervous, and giving vague or irrelevant answers. It is also important to dress professionally and be respectful of cultural differences.