Grad School in Ireland: Questions & Answers

In summary: I think that's changed. It seems that for a non-EU student doing a PhD, it will run you about 8,900 Euros per year.Note that in Dublin there are also the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS) and the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) both of which offer PhD programs in physics. Yes, funding for graduate programs in physics in Ireland is always a challenge. However, the recession has hit Ireland really hard, so there is already a shortage of funding.
lubuntu
Hello,

I am interested in attending a graduate program in Ireland after completion of my BS in physics but am unsure of the lay of the land. A few questions I have are:

1. Is it possible to get into the Ph.D. program in the Ireland w/o a masters? If it is difficult is it possible to do the masters in the Ireland?

2. What is the funding situation like for a US student doing a Ph.d. and/or Master's in the UK?

3. Would it be possible to bring my wife along to work in the Ireland with I go to school? Also, we probably plan on staying after I am done to seek employment.

4. I am coming from a rather average school that would probably be mostly unknown in the Ireland(University of Massachusetts) and expect a final GPA in the 3.3-3.6 range. I don't expect to be going to Cambridge but are there reasonable school I could apply for in the Ireland?

5. Do you have to be ultra exceptional to get into anywhere abroad as a International student or will some places look at your qualification more lax as they want to promote an "international image" or something? Or atleast judge you the same as domestic applicants?

Also I'm am of Irish heritage, unfortunately just one generation off of being again to become an Irish citizen I think, I have 3 Irish Great-Grandparents, does anyone know if there is any loop hole towards getting Irish Citizenship?

Physics news on Phys.org
No loopholes, sorry. For the EU in general one of your parents must be an Irish citizen. Great grandparents don't count. You could maybe bring your wife along, but I would check the status of visas for that sort of thing because she would have to apply for a work visa (not a student visa, which is easier to get).

Honestly, with your GPA and school, I wouldn't count on Cambridge (which is in England, not Ireland) but there are plenty of good Irish schools which accept internationals.

MissSilvy said:
For the EU in general one of your parents must be an Irish citizen. Great grandparents don't count.

This is true. Note, however, that your parents are, by definition, Irish citizens if their parents were born in Ireland, so you can go as far back as grandparents. Still, this doesn't seem enough in your case (if you think about it, if they did allow you to claim citizenship off the back of relatives higher up the tree, half of the US would be eligible!)

You could maybe bring your wife along, but I would check the status of visas for that sort of thing because she would have to apply for a work visa (not a student visa, which is easier to get).

In general, dependants are permitted to accompany students, but I don't know the immigration law for Ireland.

Honestly, with your GPA and school, I wouldn't count on Cambridge (which is in England, not Ireland) but there are plenty of good Irish schools which accept internationals.

Doesn't Ireland only have about 6 universities?

cristo said:
Doesn't Ireland only have about 6 universities?

You have University College Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin City University, then moving out of Dublin you have the National University of Ireland (NUI) at Maynooth, the NUI Galway and the Univeristy College Cork. Of these, Trinity is probably the best University, closely followed by UCD. There are lots of other smaller colleges and institutes of technology, but you of course would want the big hitters.

If you wanted to go north of the boarder, there are two Universities -- Queens University Belfast, and the University of Ulster, with has three campus' in the north (Jordanstown, Magee, and Belfast) however, UU does not have any physics courses, so here, your only option is Queens.

I took a look at the Trinity website for internation students, and I would agree with what the others have said, you would be considered a 'non-EU' applicant. This makes things more expensive. It seems that for a non-EU student doing a PhD, it will run you about 8,900 Euros per year.

Attachments

• PG_0910_New_Entrant_0910.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 164
Note that in Dublin there are also the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS) and the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) both of which offer PhD programs in physics.

However, the recession has hit Ireland really hard. So there is already a shortage of funding.

xepma said:
However, the recession has hit Ireland really hard. So there is already a shortage of funding.

Ain't that the truth!

Turns out I might be able to get EU citizenship through my great-grandfather who came from Poland, that would make this whole thing much easier!

Eu citizenship doesn't necessarily get you home/eu fees. There certainly used to be a rule that you had to have been resident in the eu for a certain number of years and it couldn't have been purely for educational reasons - so you couldn't go back for a couple of years to do A-levels or IB and then get your fees paid for the degree.

But rules vary between countries and change with time - you should check it out.

mgb_phys said:
Eu citizenship doesn't necessarily get you home/eu fees.

Even less so does it qualify you for (at least in the UK) research council studentships. You have to show residency in the EU for something like a period of 3 years prior to the start of your degree; citizenship does not suffice (presumably, so that international students can't just find a passport in the months before they plan to come over!)

cristo said:
presumably, so that international students can't just find a passport in the months before they plan to come over!
that's what happened to a friend on my course, he was from S. America but also had a French passport. He had lived in the UK for 2 years doing A levels and learning English (and having to eat English food - his main complaint) but still had to pay overseas fees.

You guys are just cruel. :(

lubuntu said:

Dashing your vague hopes? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'd rather be told in advance the reality of something rather than to delude myself and then find myself up a creek without a paddle later on.

You COULD probably get admitted. You probably CANNOT get EU rates (at all, don't expect it). You perhaps COULD get a work visa for your wife. Having European great-grandparents CANNOT qualify you for a passport/citizenship. Questions?

lubuntu said:

If you don't want to hear unpleasant facts, but facts nonetheless, I think you might want to reconsider a graduate degree in the sciences. Science is all about seeing how things really are, as opposed to how we might wish them to be.

MissSilvy said:
Dashing your vague hopes? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'd rather be told in advance the reality of something rather than to delude myself and then find myself up a creek without a paddle later on.

You COULD probably get admitted. You probably CANNOT get EU rates (at all, don't expect it). You perhaps COULD get a work visa for your wife. Having European great-grandparents CANNOT qualify you for a passport/citizenship. Questions?

No, actually I am pretty sure I am entitled to a Polish Passport, I am starting the process now, does anyone know if there is a residency requirements for research grant funding and what not?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you don't want to hear unpleasant facts, but facts nonetheless, I think you might want to reconsider a graduate degree in the sciences. Science is all about seeing how things really are, as opposed to how we might wish them to be.

I understand this and am the same inclination, I was just joking around, but it is disappointing when new problems keep cropping up.

Can anyone produce a list of all continental European grad school that teach in English, as that might give me some more options to look into?

Thanks

lubuntu said:
No, actually I am pretty sure I am entitled to a Polish Passport, I am starting the process now, does anyone know if there is a residency requirements for research grant funding and what not?

Surely, before you try and get a Polish passport through a great-grandparent (which is not going to be straight forward!) you should look around yourself for residency requirements. I've already told you ones that exist in the UK; perhaps you should focus on a particular country that you want to apply to.. at the moment, you seem to be throwing chips at everything!

Actually, I would like to get the citizenship anyways if I can, as it would make living and working in the EU, in or out of school much easier! I may perhaps just move and live there for a bit and take up finishing schooling at a later time. Who knows, just looking at my options.

1. What are the admission requirements for grad school in Ireland?

The admission requirements for grad school in Ireland vary depending on the university and program, but generally, students are expected to have a bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or equivalent. They may also need to submit standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in Ireland?

The duration of a graduate degree in Ireland can range from 1-2 years for a master's degree and 3-4 years for a PhD. However, some programs may have shorter or longer durations.

3. What is the cost of attending grad school in Ireland?

The cost of attending grad school in Ireland can vary depending on the university, program, and nationality of the student. On average, international students can expect to pay around €10,000-€25,000 per year for tuition, while EU/EEA students may pay significantly less or even no tuition.

4. Are there scholarships or financial aid options available for international students?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for international students to study in Ireland. Some are offered by the Irish government, while others are provided by individual universities. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early as they are highly competitive.

5. Can I work while attending grad school in Ireland?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while attending grad school in Ireland. However, it is important to check with your university and the Irish immigration authorities for any restrictions or guidelines. Additionally, students may also have the opportunity to work full-time during breaks and holidays.