Grad School: Is a disciplinary sanction for drinking a kiss of death?

In summary, the student has been through the program and has a great research experience and extracurricular activities, but is worried that a disciplinary sanction will hold against them if they are applying to grad school.

Is freshmen year disciplinary sanction for alcohol the kiss of death?

• Yes, it is the kiss of death.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Maybe it is the kiss of death.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No, it is not the kiss of death.

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F=qE
Hello wise physicists,

I didn't know who else to ask this question to - so I am posing it to other physics students and people who have been through the program, maybe even with a dilemma similar to mine.

I'm new here to the forums. Currently a 4th year Physics major at a top 10 undergrad program with a great GPA (>3.5) and great research experience and great extracurricular activities. Was getting a disciplinary sanction freshmen year for returning to the dorms intoxicated the kiss of death for my grad school applications?

I'm thinking I should give up all hope of getting into a top 10 graduate program if the disciplinary sanction question is asked (It is not asked specifically on them all, some only ask about academic dishonesty and crimes. The only thing that ever happened to me is this stupid night that resulted in the alcohol sanction). If it is the kiss of death, please just tell me now so I can accept the fact that my dream is crushed and stop being so emotionally troubled over this so I can focus on other programs.

Thanks everyone,
Student that doesn't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not familiar with the academic system that much, and especially in your country, but I highly doubt that they would hold that against you. I mean, if that happened a few times or more recently, yes, maybe. But the people reviewing your application have been freshmen too, they know how "them kids" are when they get fresh into university. I think it would be very strange if they weighed a youth sin more heavily than your recent achievements (which sound fairly promising, as far as I can judge).

No, I've talked with people about this. I was put on probation my freshman year for drugs and none said it would be an issue since I've been good since then. In addition to that, what CompuChip said.

I should note that I wasn't charged with a misdemeanor or anything. I was on university probation.

It's not likely to be an issue.

Thank you for quelling my fears. =)

I was sanctioned twice as an undergraduate, once for alcohol and once for drugs. I was an undergraduate at a mid-low (top ~60) tier school. I still got in somewhere in the top ~15 for grad school, though it's worth noting that no school that asked specifically about disciplinary infractions accepted me.

What!?. You're a college student and you once got drunk? My goodness! When I was in college, that never happened. Well actually it did, a lot. But I lived in a frat house after my freshman year. I can't imagine any graduate program holding that against you unless it's at Oral Roberts University or some such school.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
What!?. You're a college student and you once got drunk? My goodness! When I was in college, that never happened. Well actually it did, a lot. But I lived in a frat house after my freshman year. I can't imagine any graduate program holding that against you unless it's at Oral Roberts University or some such school.
Yeah, when did this start? Disciplinary sanctions for getting drunk in college??

When I first read the title, I thought a "Kiss of Death" might be some cool drink, maybe with liquid nitrogen.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
What!?. You're a college student and you once got drunk? My goodness!

I agree, my goodness! Only once?

World is coming to an end, I tell ya.

The college across the street from my University makes fun of our University because we don't have the party reputation that they do. We can be found working late in our office, drinking.

Borek said:
I agree, my goodness! Only once?

Well, being an old cynic, when I read the OP my first thought was "and then what did you do AFTER you came back drunk..."

Just being under the affluence of incohol doesn't sound like a big deal.

Possibly he was just underage?

Wait a second...you can't drink while you live at the university during your free times? Or did I misunderstood something?

Some dorms don't allow you to be intoxicated or have alcohol on premises. Usually freshman dorms where everyone is under 21 anyway (in the US).

1. How likely is a disciplinary sanction for drinking to affect my chances of getting into grad school?

It depends on the severity of the sanction and the policies of the specific grad school you are applying to. Some schools may view a disciplinary sanction for drinking as a red flag, while others may not consider it as heavily. It is important to be honest and transparent about any disciplinary actions on your application and to highlight any steps you have taken for personal growth and improvement.

2. Will a disciplinary sanction for drinking prevent me from getting into a top grad school?

Again, this depends on the specific policies of the grad school you are applying to. Some top schools may have a zero-tolerance policy for any disciplinary actions, while others may consider the circumstances and your overall application. It is important to research the policies of the schools you are interested in and to address the sanction in your application if necessary.

3. Should I disclose a disciplinary sanction for drinking on my grad school application?

It is always best to be honest and transparent on your application. If a grad school asks about any disciplinary actions, it is important to disclose them. However, if the application does not specifically ask, you may want to consider reaching out to the admissions office for guidance on whether or not to include it.

4. Can I explain the circumstances of my disciplinary sanction for drinking in my application?

Yes, you should take the opportunity to provide context and explain any mitigating factors surrounding the sanction. This can help admissions committees understand the situation better and may show your growth and maturity since the incident.

5. Will a disciplinary sanction for drinking affect my chances of getting funding for grad school?

This may vary depending on the funding source and the policies of the school. Some funding sources may have stricter guidelines for disciplinary actions, while others may not consider it as heavily. It is important to research the policies of the funding source and to address the sanction in your application if necessary.