Grad School Opinion on 8 Month Industry Work

In summary, the speaker is discussing their plans for their degree and the possibility of working in industry for 8 months during their junior year. They are concerned about how this will affect their chances for graduate school, as research experience is preferred. They mention that they have previous experience in industry and were able to do more research than they could in their undergraduate institution. They hope to find a job that involves research rather than just programming.
Darth Frodo
Hi.

As part of my degree I will have to undergo 8 months on working in industry (I may be able to get a minor research position) but let's assume I end up in industry during my second semester of Junior (third) year.

Unfortunately this takes up my summer holidays which would have been an ideal time to get some undergrad research done.

I realize that Grad Schools prefer to see that some undergrad research was done, but what I'm asking is what how would they view working in industry for 8 months?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for physics or engineering or what?

Oh sorry, ah that would be physics.

I realize that this may be a unique situation to the members of this forum but if anyone has any input at all I would be most appreciative.

I did much, much more research in industry than I ever did or COULD do at my undergrad institution. PhDs at my old job were required to publish at least once a year. My productivity in industry was about 20x what I am doing now in grad school (not exaggerating) simply I had much more space, more resources, and no grad students that have been in academia for far too long getting in my way.Try to get as much as you can working a 'real' job.

Cool thanks! It's a long way off yet but I'm just thinking about it so far.

I just hope I can find one where research is done as opposed to just programming. I was talking to a graduate of the course and that's what he was doing for 8 months.

FAQ: Grad School Opinion on 8 Month Industry Work

1. What are the benefits of doing an 8 month industry work during grad school?

There are several benefits to doing an 8 month industry work during grad school. First, it allows students to gain real-world experience and apply their theoretical knowledge in a practical setting. This experience can be valuable when applying for jobs after graduation. Additionally, it can provide networking opportunities, as students may make connections with professionals in their field. It can also provide financial support through a salary or stipend, which can help offset the cost of grad school.

2. Will doing an 8 month industry work delay my graduation?

It depends on the specific program and requirements. Some programs may allow students to count the industry work towards their degree requirements, while others may require students to complete a certain number of credits or courses before graduating. It is important to discuss this with your advisor or program coordinator to determine if and how the industry work will affect your graduation timeline.

3. How do I find an 8 month industry work opportunity during grad school?

There are a few ways to find an industry work opportunity during grad school. Some universities may have partnerships or connections with companies in your field of study, so it is worth checking with your department or career center. You can also search for internships or co-op programs on job search websites or reach out to companies directly to inquire about opportunities. Networking with professionals in your field can also help you find industry work opportunities.

4. Will doing an 8 month industry work affect my research or thesis work?

Again, this depends on the specific program and requirements. Some programs may allow students to incorporate their industry work experience into their research or thesis, while others may have separate requirements for these components. It is important to discuss this with your advisor or program coordinator to ensure that your industry work does not negatively impact your research or thesis progress.

5. Are there any downsides to doing an 8 month industry work during grad school?

There can be a few potential downsides to doing an 8 month industry work during grad school. One is that it may take time away from your coursework or research, which could potentially delay your graduation. Additionally, the industry work may not align with your research interests or career goals, which could make it a less valuable experience. It is important to carefully consider the potential downsides and weigh them against the benefits before committing to an 8 month industry work during grad school.