1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school or job

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1
    Im trying to figure out if I want to go to grad school or to try and find a job. Which is more stressful grad school or working in industry in a stem field. obviously it will be very hard to find a job in stem. would it be better to work in industry and gain experience or go to grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

What is the field in question?
    Are you willing to live like a student for another year (or more depends on the field and masters vs phd)?

My experience as a young EE who took a job out of undergrad. Most of us are getting our masters degrees while working full time. Its stressful and can easily lead to 60 hour weeks (i hit 100 hours once :/ ). that being said having the money is great, and I can do whatever I want with my free time. A small part of me wishes I just went straight to grad school, but nothing beats having the money now and i'll have my degree in two years anyways.

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3
    I took a year off after finishing my MS, and I realized very quickly that, if I was ever going to get a PhD, I had better get back to it right away. Out of school, you begin to acquire a life (a wife, a car, a family, a boat, a hobby, etc), all things that are incompatible with graduate school.

5. Nov 9, 2014 #4
    I feel like I tired of working on problem sets and going to lectures, and maybe working at a job could be better, like I go to work and I do my work their.
    but i could limit my job offers if i dont go to grad school, what kind of mind set should someone have if they want to go to grad school.

6. Nov 10, 2014 #5
    Both are almost the same to me. But working as I didn't realize when I was young helps me earn a lot more money than studying does :D.

7. Nov 24, 2014 #6
    I think going to grad school was more stressful than working in industry. Grad school was more competitive and was more time consuming than working in industry.

Now that I am out of school I work less than 60 hours a week, sometimes only 50. I have weekends off and have health insurance.

But if your undergrad degree is physics I would strongly recommend you do go to grad school for better employment prospects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook