1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school personal statement

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    I am applying to get into the masters program at my school. The process includes a statement of purpose which I need to write. I've asked around the department and found out that these grad school essays differ a lot from undergraduate application essays. One of the advisor told me not to write about my hobbies and extra curricular. So should I write about my reasons for attending grad school? The research I would like to do. What do you think the commitee likes to hear?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2
    I am not sure for masters programes, but for PhD I think they would like to know reasons why are you applying to that specific school. And ofcourse this includes what research would you like to do... the more specific, the better. It would also be great if you have already done something relating to research you like to do, then also mention that.

I found this link googling for few seconds so I'm sure there are more schools which have their guidelines:

http://careerservices.rutgers.edu/guideline-ps.htm .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?