Grad School Question: Can Classes Transfer?

In summary, it depends on the program and the specific class whether or not a graduate class taken at your undergraduate university would be accepted for credit. If it's a core class, it might not be accepted. If it's a supporting class, however, the department might just need to petition to the department or a graduate committee to have the class's equivalence confirmed and the credits accepted.
daveyinaz
This is something I had never seen before...a student applies for grad school and gets accepted to a university not where he did his undergrad. He was planning on enrolling for fall but decides to defer for a year. For the year that he deferred, in the meantime, could this person take a grad class at his undergrad university and then transfer it over into the program he was deferring? Or does this step on some kind of fine print mumbo jumbo?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how strongly the new school feels about the specialized content of their classes. If it's a core class in the graduate program, the department might not want to accept any substitutions. If it's a supporting class, however, the student might just need to petition to the department or a graduate committee to have the class's equivalence confirmed and the credits accepted.

I'd ask the department beforehand, but not mention the deferral; that's just a complicating issue. I would just ask about the possibility of transferring a single graduate class.

Why would you defer your entry to take classes in your undergraduate university?

cristo said:
Why would you defer your entry to take classes in your undergraduate university?

Where did I say that the primary reason for deferring was to take classes at undergrad university? I only said "in the meantime"...besides I actually know the reason and it has nothing to do with academics.

To add to what I said before...what if the student ends up not going to program he deferred? I highly doubt it, but would there be no problem this student should encounter when declining enrollment the next year?

I can envision several scenarios where you might not be able to start school right away at a new university but could have the time to take a grad class at your undergrad university. Most of those involve family obligations.

You would have to ask the program where you are deferring admission directly if they would accept the transfer credit. It will likely depend on the course and the program. If you have a choice of courses, you could find out if any would have more likelihood of transferring than others and choose one that will transfer.

As for deferring admission and then deciding not to attend at all, I think that's a risk programs are aware of with deferred admission. If you had to pay a deposit to accept their offer or defer, you would forfeit your deposit. From a more ethical standpoint, if you are going to decline enrollment after a deferral, as soon as you know this is going to happen, let them know so they can admit another student into your slot. Programs always have waiting lists, so the sooner they know, the better it is all around for them to accept someone off their wait list.

1. How do I know if my classes from my previous graduate school will transfer to a new program?

The best way to find out if your classes will transfer is to contact the graduate program you are interested in and ask about their transfer credit policies. Each program may have different requirements and restrictions.

2. Can I transfer all of my classes from my previous graduate school?

It is unlikely that you will be able to transfer all of your classes from your previous graduate school. Most programs have a limit on the number of credits that can be transferred and may also have specific requirements for the courses that can be transferred.

3. Do I need to provide official transcripts from my previous graduate school when applying for a new program?

Yes, it is standard practice for graduate programs to require official transcripts from all previous institutions attended. This is to verify the courses you have completed and the grades you have received.

4. How will transfer credits affect my GPA in the new program?

This will depend on the policies of the specific program you are applying to. Some programs may only transfer the credits and not the grades, while others may factor in the grades from your previous courses. It is important to inquire about this when contacting the program.

5. Can I transfer credits from an online graduate program to an on-campus program?

This will also depend on the policies of the program you are applying to. Some programs may accept online credits, while others may not. It is best to inquire about this before applying to the program.