1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad school question

1. Jan 9, 2014 #1
    I was thinking about going to grad school to study philosophy of physics and math, and logic and paradoxes.
    I was googling around to try and find a school, Columbia has something like it,
    If I get a Masters or doctorate in this field, would it be hard to get a teaching position at a university? Or should I do something more applied.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The field would be work in philosophy.
    Note: it is hard to get a teaching position at a University - period.
    A minimum standard to have a reasonable hope would be a PhD.

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4536 [Broken]

... and people thought getting a job in physics is difficult!

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jan 10, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The fact that you have identified exactly one program will give you some ideas of how competitive the job market will be.

6. Jan 10, 2014 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Something that's really helped me in my academic career has been to imagine the following scenario...

You are given the task of raising the money to fund your research. You have a large amount of time - say one year, but the only way you can raise the monye is by randomly approaching people on the street, explaining whatever you want about the research in two minutes or less and asking for a donation.

As you can imagine, this will be more easy to do for some subjects than others.

Some problems may be so abstract that the only way you can get any money at all for them is to lump them together and sell them as "the value to solutions of abstract problems" but then, you have to split your pot with everyone else who is working on a related abstract problem.

While this metaphor has it's limitations I think it gives you a good idea of how easy it is to get a job doing academic work of any kind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook