Grad School Schedule Questions

In summary, taking 4 classes and doing research may be too stressful, so it's important to consider your commitments and previous coursework. If you feel overwhelmed, switching Graduate Statistical Physics for Undergraduate Solid State Physics may be a better option. Make sure to discuss with your advisor.
chill_factor
I wonder if this is a good schedule to take in the Spring for my M.S?

I've been taking 4 classes + doing research in the last 2 quarters of my undergrad, and even though it's pretty stressful, I've been surviving.

I am doing no research year 1. I may be TAing however. Spring would be this, after I hopefully pass Fall with great grades:

Graduate Quantum Mechanics 2 (3 hr lec) - covers scattering, rotation group and irreducible tensor operations, identical particles, semi-classical radiation theory, atoms and molecules, path integral formalism.

Graduate Statistical Physics (3 hr lec) - covers Maxwell-Boltzmann, Bose-Einstein, Fermi-Dirac statistics; ideal and imperfect gases; thermodynamic properties of solids; transport theory; phase transitions.

Undergraduate Electromagnetism I (3 hr lec)

Undergraduate Experimental Techniques (2 hr lec, 3 hr lab)

If this schedule is too hard, would switching Graduate Statistical Physics for Undergraduate Solid State Physics be a bit easier?

Undergraduate Solid State Physics - covers introduction to the quantum theory of solids. Crystal structure and thermal, electric and magnetic properties.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible that this schedule is too hard for you, depending on your previous coursework and experience. It's important to recognize what you can handle and take into account any other commitments you may have. If you feel like the original schedule is too much, then switching Graduate Statistical Physics for Undergraduate Solid State Physics may be a better option for you. Make sure to also talk to your advisor about it and get their opinion.

1. How long does a typical graduate school program last?

The length of a graduate school program can vary, but on average, it takes two to three years to complete a master's degree and four to six years to complete a doctoral degree. However, this can also depend on the specific program and the individual student's pace of study.

2. What is the typical schedule for a graduate student?

The schedule for a graduate student can vary, but it typically involves a combination of classes, research, and teaching responsibilities. Some programs may also require students to attend seminars or workshops. Most students also dedicate time outside of their scheduled classes for independent study and research.

3. Can I work while attending graduate school?

It is possible to work while attending graduate school, but it can be challenging to balance both responsibilities. Many graduate programs require a significant time commitment, making it difficult to work full-time. However, some students may be able to work part-time or find research or teaching assistant positions within their program.

4. How many classes do I need to take each semester in graduate school?

The number of classes required for graduate school can vary depending on the program and the individual student's course load. Typically, students take fewer classes than in their undergraduate studies, with an average of 2-3 classes per semester. However, this can also depend on the credit system of the specific program and the student's progress towards their degree.

5. Is it possible to have a flexible schedule in graduate school?

The flexibility of a graduate school schedule can vary depending on the program and the student's research or teaching responsibilities. Some programs may offer more flexibility in terms of course options and class times, while others may have a more rigid schedule. It is essential to discuss your schedule needs with your advisor and program to determine the level of flexibility available.