Grad School Skills: Programming & Research Experience

In summary: My C++ skills were essential in developing this model.In summary, the grad school application should focus on demonstrating competence in specific areas, such as research and programming, rather than a laundry list of skills.
cmyers152
I'm looking to compile a list of skills that people have used on their grad school applications that looked good, such as programming and research experience

Physics news on Phys.org
cmyers152 said:
I'm looking to compile a list of skills that people have used on their grad school applications that looked good, such as programming and research experience
I don't want to get all preachy, especially now that you seem all fired up, but your applications have to be organic, reflecting your own personal experience. There is no place in the application paperwork where a list would be suitable, not even on the resume. The committees don't care whether you have deep experience in JAVA, Excel, python, running a 4H club, or even president of your physics society. The only thing that looks good is a compelling story backed by a competent performance. Focus on your grades and research and the story tells itself.

Likes cmyers152
DrSteve said:
I don't want to get all preachy, especially now that you seem all fired up, but your applications have to be organic, reflecting your own personal experience. There is no place in the application paperwork where a list would be suitable, not even on the resume. The committees don't care whether you have deep experience in JAVA, Excel, python, running a 4H club, or even president of your physics society. The only thing that looks good is a compelling story backed by a competent performance. Focus on your grades and research and the story tells itself.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. A lot of experimentalists are looking for very specific skills, especially if they've had a run of new grad students without them: programming, electronics, high vacuum, etc. Of course, these skills are best framed in the context of prior research experience, and kind words from undergrad research mentors and co-authoring papers is even better. Often, a specific offer of a research assistantship from an experimentalist with some clout will get you admission to the program, and some experimentalists NEED grad students in their groups who can be productive quickly.

Likes cmyers152
I'm going to respectfully disagree with myself or, at least, clarify. Professors are indeed looking for special skill sets, which, if possessed, will help the applicant distinguish him/herself from the crowd. What you want to avoid is the laundry list approach, where the skill is not integrated with a meaningful activity. So, instead of a resume that looks like this...

"Expertise includes
  • C++
  • ROOT
  • GEANT
  • RF techniques"
...I would strongly suggest that a sentence or so be devoted to particular instances where each expertise was demonstrated. For example, I developed a GEANT model that recorded coincident gamma, beta emissions from 136Xe in dodecahedron PMT array for radioxenon monitoring purposes.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What type of programming skills are necessary for graduate school?

The specific programming skills needed for graduate school will vary depending on your field of study and research interests. However, some commonly used languages and tools in graduate level research include Python, R, MATLAB, and statistical software such as SPSS or SAS. It is also important to have a strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and problem-solving techniques.

2. How important is research experience in graduate school?

Research experience is essential for success in graduate school. It allows you to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as gain a deeper understanding of your field of study. Having research experience also shows admissions committees that you are committed to your field and have the necessary skills to conduct high-quality research.

3. Is it necessary to have programming skills for all graduate programs?

Not all graduate programs require programming skills, but having at least a basic understanding of programming can be beneficial in many fields. It can help you analyze and visualize data, automate tasks, and create simulations. Even if your program does not specifically require programming, having these skills can make you a more competitive candidate and enhance your research abilities.

4. How can I improve my programming skills for graduate school?

There are several ways to improve your programming skills for graduate school. You can take online courses or workshops, participate in coding challenges or hackathons, and practice regularly by working on personal projects or collaborating with others. It is also helpful to keep up with current programming trends and technologies in your field of study.

5. Can I learn programming skills while in graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to learn programming skills while in graduate school. Many programs offer courses or workshops specifically for students to develop their programming skills. Additionally, you can also learn from peers, collaborate on research projects that involve coding, and utilize online resources and tutorials. It may require extra effort and time management, but it is certainly possible to improve your programming skills while pursuing a graduate degree.