1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School: Waiving tuition?

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1
    I was reading on a website dedicated to mathematics grad school that the first year is usually free, and they waive the tuition in addition to a TA/RA position.

can anyone refute that? one of my big concerns is being in heavy debt after grad school. i know for law school, medical school, you are just swamped in debt, but what about for mathematics/physics grad school?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2006 #2
    bump bump

4. Jan 3, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Gee, you're patient! 56 whole minutes! :bugeye:

I don't know personally about math programs, but in physics grad school programs it is indeed normal (or at least common) for tuition to be waived if the school gives you a teaching or research assistantship. You also get a salary for the assistantship, which should be enough for a single person to live on.

When I was a grad student, I lived fairly well on my assistantship, by sharing an apartment with another physics grad student, and not owning a car. If I had owned a car, things would have been tighter but still manageable.
  5. Jan 3, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some university and department offer a minimum stipend to their grad student and it is often sufficient to pay tuition and maybe living expenses. Each university have their rules regarding stipends and schoolarship. Your are often restricted in the amount of hour work you can do on a specific job and some stipends require that the recipient works as a TA or any specific job in the department.

Personnally, I have not increased my debts since I have enter grad schoold but each field have their own restriction in terms of funding.
  6. Jan 3, 2006 #5
    lol i'm sorry for being so anxious, im just really stressing over my expenses right now. i'm kinda anal about that.

thanks for the replies guys, i'm a little bit more relaxed now
  7. Jan 3, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might want to contact the departments you are interested in applying to for an idea on the level of funding they typically provide, it really can vary from place to place.

My own experience in mathematics, I've actually made money as a grad student. Granted I live pretty cheaply, but most other math students I've talked too don't need external loans to survive.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?